Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: Dog Food

Default Re: Dog Food

Yep. Never cooked the food. Dogs systems are designed to deal with raw food. Organ protein is the most nutritionally dense food you can feed. But everything in balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Briefly - My butcher used to make me packs of afval and all the leftover cuttings as well as some netvet if needed. Also the saw shavings which contained pretty much everything. Anything offcut from our kitchen prep, root veg in small amounts - also added to that chicken necks from time to time when I could get them. Eggs too once or twice a week and beef liver or heart. During the hunting season my working dogs would get a can of sardines added to their food or increase the fat content by adding more netvet if we were on a trip. If I ever needed to use commercial food it would have been a high protein high fat food such as Orijen but only to about 50% and not consistently. Its not everyone's choice, but it worked well for my dogs and proved to be beneficial once the dogs hit their older years, they enjoyed good health and were free of health niggles many dogs younger than them experienced. Bones are also good for dogs, but note that (as mad as it sounds) dogs need to learn to handle bones, so if you start them off don't leave them unattended - and if you have more than one dog, they can cause aggro if unsupervised.
    My dogs get much the same. Never had a single problem.

User

Yep. Never cooked the food. Dogs systems are designed to deal with raw food. Organ protein is the most nutritionally dense food you can feed. But everything in balance.
    That's one of the mad ironies of modern western dietary preferences. The things that used to be for the top table, i.e. brain, heart, liver, kidneys, marrow etc are now relegated to mystery meat preparations at best and animal feed at worst.

User

So I got my dogs (I have three mixed) some chicken liver last week.

My oldest (shephard x) ate some.
    My ridgeback x pointer and daschund x boston terrier tried and kept looking back at me confused.

They've had raw meat and bone before. First raw liver experience.

I'd love to feed raw but buying from a seller is very expensive.

I had two Doberman. One proper bloodline and one with a stroke of the tar brush.

Bloodline got to 8 on vets choice and hills.
    The other had doberman hep. Took over a year to diagnose. Imported meds from Canada.
    He got to 4.

Still missing pieces of my heart.

Think they are somewhat like holsters.

Briefly - My butcher used to make me packs of afval and all the leftover cuttings as well as some netvet if needed. Also the saw shavings which contained pretty much everything. Anything offcut from our kitchen prep, root veg in small amounts - also added to that chicken necks from time to time when I could get them. Eggs too once or twice a week and beef liver or heart. During the hunting season my working dogs would get a can of sardines added to their food or increase the fat content by adding more netvet if we were on a trip. If I ever needed to use commercial food it would have been a high protein high fat food such as Orijen but only to about 50% and not consistently. Its not everyone's choice, but it worked well for my dogs and proved to be beneficial once the dogs hit their older years, they enjoyed good health and were free of health niggles many dogs younger than them experienced. Bones are also good for dogs, but note that (as mad as it sounds) dogs need to learn to handle bones, so if you start them off don't leave them unattended - and if you have more than one dog, they can cause aggro if unsupervised.
    Thanks for the information. What sort of ratios are you aiming for i.t.o. protein to fat and assume minimal veg?

Quote Originally Posted by wthang View Post
    So I got my dogs (I have three mixed) some chicken liver last week.

My oldest (shephard x) ate some.
    My ridgeback x pointer and daschund x boston terrier tried and kept looking back at me confused.

They've had raw meat and bone before. First raw liver experience.

I'd love to feed raw but buying from a seller is very expensive.

I had two Doberman. One proper bloodline and one with a stroke of the tar brush.

Bloodline got to 8 on vets choice and hills.
    The other had doberman hep. Took over a year to diagnose. Imported meds from Canada.
    He got to 4.

Still missing pieces of my heart.

Think they are somewhat like holsters.
    Sorry for your loss wthang! Always a tough thing...

User

For what its worth... I feed my dogs raw aswell. Used to buy the pre-made raw food which is pretty expensive now around R60 a kg. My retriever eats a kg a day. So food was R1800 a month...

I now make two types of food...

We farm pasture raised broiler chickens. So for the poultry mix I use.
    Ground carcasses (lots of meat) most farms would sell this as "soup packs" for R12 for 2 carcasses (800g).
    Aswell as trimmings from when portioning.
    I then add gizzard, heart and liver.
    Aswell as about 10 to 20% veg. And this I make in large batches and freeze. Then we add 2 necks on top of his food.

The second food we make consists of
    Eiland/or other game mince (super lean) R90/kg
    Blood meat/neck meat from beef butcher sells this at R10/kg. Very fatty which is why I use the game mince.
    Saw dust from the band saws.
    Lung heart liver etc
    Veg
    The blood meat and the sawdust bring the cost per kg of the food down tremendously aswell as the veg.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17