Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Food

User

Default Re: Dog Food

He is not averse to raw meat, Messor. I'll give that a try. Bones (even raw) are an issue with GSDs.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    Bones (even raw) are an issue with GSDs.
    Ja, it's best you approach this subject with caution, you already spend a lot of money on the animal.

Just to put info out there for others starting pets, it's only dogs that haven't grown up chewing on bones that have problems with them. Simply because if you give a big city dog a bone he tries to swallow it. You give a young dog a big bone and he spends hours chewing up(or trying) the bone from one end, and that eating habit stays with him for life.

Anyways PP, hope you get him sorted.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Just to put info out there for others starting pets, it's only dogs that haven't grown up chewing on bones that have problems with them. Simply because if you give a big city dog a bone he tries to swallow it. You give a young dog a big bone and he spends hours chewing up(or trying) the bone from one end, and that eating habit stays with him for life.
    Thanks.

I was wondering about PP's assertion. I've always heard this 'bones are a problem'-thing, and never had any problems with feeding all of our dogs (including GSDs) all kinds of bones.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Quote Originally Posted by JS4 View Post
    Thanks.

I was wondering about PP's assertion. I've always heard this 'bones are a problem'-thing, and never had any problems with feeding all of our dogs (including GSDs) all kinds of bones.
    I'm most certainly guilty of not feeding him bones from an early age.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Proudprado View Post
    I'm most certainly guilty of not feeding him bones from an early age.
    Poor guy. :o(
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Indeed. An abused, mistreated soul.

General rule for bones is that I avoid the weight bearing long bones (beef) they are usually dense and can crack teeth, also can splinter into sharp shards. I like to get the butcher to cut the knuckles off and the dogs love to chew the ends of those, remember dogs need to learn how to eat bones, it sounds crazy but they do, so be careful in just giving them big bones if they are not used to them. Also remove them after they are done and toss them out.

What you can also do is get the bone meal - butchers saw shavings - I get these from my butcher for nothing, but Pick and Pay will sell it to you for next to nothing. You can add this to the food you normally feed in amounts as you see fit. It's great for them, lots of marrow and bone. Lamb neck and ostrich neck are also good meaty soft bones to give them, I give my small dogs lots of chicken necks as well.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    General rule for bones is that I avoid the weight bearing long bones (beef) they are usually dense and can crack teeth, also can splinter into sharp shards. I like to get the butcher to cut the knuckles off and the dogs love to chew the ends of those, remember dogs need to learn how to eat bones, it sounds crazy but they do, so be careful in just giving them big bones if they are not used to them. Also remove them after they are done and toss them out.

What you can also do is get the bone meal - butchers saw shavings - I get these from my butcher for nothing, but Pick and Pay will sell it to you for next to nothing. You can add this to the food you normally feed in amounts as you see fit. It's great for them, lots of marrow and bone. Lamb neck and ostrich neck are also good meaty soft bones to give them, I give my small dogs lots of chicken necks as well.
    Cow femur bones are a life saver for me. Its the only way I can keep my female APBT occupied for +- half an hour(how long it takes her to split it and eat marrow out) while watering the garden(she chases water). I always monitor her though. I get them for R5 each for the big ones.. And my butcher also cuts them in half(for the 1kg yorkie) if I ask.

Those saw shavings sound like a good way to supplement the kibble.

Hi All

I know this is quite long after the main discussion but from my side the recommended food is Jock Junior , my family breeds hunt specific bullterriers and this gives them the optimum performance, also my parents in law own a cronus pitbull who is the strongest dog currently in SA with a 4.15 ton pull at 32kg and all they feed him Jock Junior ( well the whole kennel gets Jock Junior due to higher protein) furthermore my wife is a animal nutritionist for SA's biggest pig farmer and she swears by the AFGRI dog foods as she has been to the factories etc .. just a little insight from our side

So again necro post is being dug up

We getting a puppy in a few weeks and want to know if any changes by the guys on feeding suggestions?

Anyone doing the full raw and is there any suggestions on this

Would love to hear SSP’s thoughts

Pup is a sable GSD

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast