Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Dog Food

User

Default Re: Dog Food

We cook our food to kill bacteria and to render it safer to eat, why would we think it will be any different for our domesticated pets.

There is a risk with feeding raw if you don’t know the source and can’t guarantee the cold chain from manufacture into your deep freeze.
    And as stated previously there are no regulations that control raw feed in SA. What worries me is that 80% of tested food in Europe had high levels of Salmonella and Ecoli, what does our food in SA compare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

We have two dachshund males who are turning 8 this year. They’ve been on Royal Canin breed specific for all of this time. Their weight and health is excellent and they’ve never been to the vet once except for their yearly shots.

We recently had two Labradoodle puppies on order and the breeder is a raw food follower. About two weeks ago 7 out of the 8 puppies in the litter passed within 48 hours of each other. The cause of death was never specified and my major “investment” was reimbursed.

I’m not for once hinting at cause and effect but I’ll always wonder if the chicken might have been contaminated or something. All is pure speculation.

I’ve been in the Royal Canin factory in Gauteng and I can assure you the health standards are higher than most places where human food is produced. Through my job I get to see many many factories and I’m still impressed with the hygiene standards. I can only assume the R&D matched these quality standards.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    What worries me is that 80% of tested food in Europe had high levels of Salmonella and Ecoli, what does our food in SA compare?...
    Wasn't that the dry food?

User

Quote Originally Posted by janfred View Post
    Wasn't that the dry food?
    Def raw
    I have a link to that specific study at my office, will post it later.
    Look at this one so long
    https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...ets-and-people

User

The are many articles on the benefits of feeding dogs a raw (meat based) diet. There are also many against it. The dog food industry has much invested in ensuring profits are made. It's big business. However you choose to feed your dog, there are great options in whatever you do, whether dry foods or raw, just look into things.

User

I see your articles and call with these....��

http://healthydogclub.com/2015/04/ba...d-here-is-why/

https://www.livescience.com/8439-dry...-outbreak.html

Yes, I am well aware that they are probably not based on peer-reviewed research. So "Caveat emptor"
    Last edited by janfred; 23-02-2020 at 16:46. Reason: Links don't show as links

User

Only found out today that the CDC research from last year indicates there appears to be a link between grain-free diets (such as Acana/Orijen and similar) and canine dilated cardiomyopathy.
    Source : https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/nu...ee-diet-alert/

So annoying. Just when you think you've found a good dog food something like this comes up. And after that Hills fiasco last year where thousands of dogs were killed due to them excessive Vitamin D in their food, I'm very skeptical of every company now.

Going to slowly switch from grain-free Montego Field+Forest to Royal Canin over the next 7 days now.

So reviving this thread.... Again.

I now have three dogs. Two of then large breed. I recently changed from Trusty to Monty and me, and then to Monty and me essential. I am so so disappointed.

Anyway, recently changed to Optimizor. And touch wood, dogs seem to have improved a lot in condition. Anyone else using Optimizor?

Quote Originally Posted by killzone View Post
    So reviving this thread.... Again.

I now have three dogs. Two of then large breed. I recently changed from Trusty to Monty and me, and then to Monty and me essential. I am so so disappointed.

Anyway, recently changed to Optimizor. And touch wood, dogs seem to have improved a lot in condition. Anyone else using Optimizor?
    I have just ordered Optimizor (from the other post) for my dogs as changing from Jock which my one dog seems to react badly to. Will let you know.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast