Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Howa or Ruger American???

Quote Originally Posted by Jono PE View Post
    Good day

So i am doing some research for my brother. He is looking at buying a 30-06, he found a Ruger American for R 7500 also a Howa Houge for R 7600. I have done alot of reading on the net but could not find a clear winner between the two. I know the Howa has a couple of pounds on the Ruger, so I gues the felt recoil should be a litel less on the Howa.? The most important thing for me is accuracy, which rifle is more accurate with factory ammo?

There is the option of the Howa with a thumbhole laminate stock for R 8800.

Regards
    Most American rifle manufacturers have brought out cheaper (lower budget) rifles in the last few years. Off my head there is the Remington 783, Savage axis, Marlin X7, Mossberg and Ruger American. All of these rifles are based on rifles with a good reputation but are mass produced to a budget. The are also design changes to save money. The savage does not have a solid recoil lug. Some have plastic triggers and trigger guards. They are generally not bad rifles. I have seen a savage axis that shoots sub moa groups all day.

I have a Howa with a laminated stock and the quality seems better. It is also very accurate. I would go for the Howa or one of the Howa derived rifles. The Weatherby Vanguard and a new Webley & Scott rifle both have howa actions.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    Dead thread resurrection.

so my dad bought a Ruger American in .243 and finally picked it up 6 months after buying it.

Yesterday we spent some time getting it set up, lightening the trigger and fitting the scope. At the same time the barrel was free floated as the stock was touching it in a few spots.

Let's look at the rifle. It is very lighweight with a hollow stock and thin barrel which would make it a joy to carry around.

The trigger is only slightly adjustable. From the factory it was set at 4Lb and 4 ounces. It adjusted down to 3Lb and 12 ounces. It breaks fairly cleanly with very little noticeable creep.

The stock is in my opinion shockingly cheap and nasty. Very thin and flexible on the forend and poorly finished with lots of moulding burrs in the trigger area. We had to remove material on the forend to get the barrel floated. The Howa Hogue stock of which I am not a fan and replaced on my own .243 is streets ahead in terms of quality.

The action itself is fairly smooth but obviously a product of cheap mass production, being made from machined bar stock. The magazine is a plastic unit that clips into the stock. It rattles due to loose tolerances but feeds reliably enough. The action is bedded into v-block stock inserts moulded into the stock, this is just about the best feature on the rifle due to the very secure bond between rifle and stock.

Overall finish is a matt black coating. Again if you look at the finish on the bottom of the receiver which clearly shows machining marks , I can only assume that no polishing of the parts is made at the factory. It should be hard wearing and feels it but it clearly is a cost saving measure.

if I were in the market for a budget rifle and had to choose between the Ruger American and the Howa, it would be no contest, the Howa would win every time.
    You pretty much nailed it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3