Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default CNN Cancels Piers Morgan’s Prime Time Show

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/02/robert-farago/breaking-cnn-cancels-piers-morgans-prime-time-show/

BREAKING: CNN Cancels Piers Morgan’s Prime Time Show
    February 23, 2014 at 19:03
    Written by Robert Farago

“There have been times when the CNN host Piers Morgan didn’t seem to like America very much,” David Carr at nytimes,com opines, “and American audiences have been more than willing to return the favor. Three years after taking over for Larry King, Mr. Morgan has seen the ratings for “Piers Morgan Live” hit some new lows, drawing a fraction of viewers compared with competitors at Fox News and MSNBC.” And so BOOM! He’s gone. From Piers Morgan Live anyway. “It’s been an unhappy collision between a British television personality who refuses to assimilate — the only football he cares about is round and his lectures on guns were rife with contempt — and a CNN audience that is intrinsically provincial. After all, the people who tune into a cable news network are, by their nature, deeply interested in America.” In other words, his incessant anti-gun views were unpopular. Who saw that coming? Why Piers Morgan of course . . .

“Look, I am a British guy debating American cultural issues, including guns, which has been very polarizing, and there is no doubt that there are many in the audience who are tired of me banging on about it,” he said. “That’s run its course and Jeff and I have been talking for some time about different ways of using me.”

I’m sure our readers would have some suggestions on that front. Unfortunately our new commenting policy prohibit ad hominem attacks. So I’ll just say this about that: Mr. Morgan’s greatest failure was his inability to understand that elitism is not popular on this side of the pond, no matter how self-righteous its proponent.

User

Default Re: CNN Cancels Piers Morgan’s Prime Time Show

User

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy .Good riddance .tims

I hope he doesn't pitch up somewhere else.

User

Nice

User

His gun views cost him!

http://guardianlv.com/2014/02/piers-...lks-the-plank/

The New York Post has reported that CNN host Piers Morgan will walk the plank. It is unknown if there was the figurative sword to prompt him or if he is willingly jumping ship. According to the daily tabloid, even Morgan appears to not know when the last episode will be aired.

The vague explanations in the Post as well as the New York Times and most other outlets do not state if he is being fired, if he quit or how the planned termination of the nightly news commentary, Piers Morgan Live, occurred. What is known is that the ratings have plummeted and that shows in the same time slot on MSNBC and Fox News are far higher.

Shortly after the initial announcements, however, CNN broke the news that Morgan had indeed been fired from the news channel. It remains unannounced the exact date of the final episode. CNN Chief Jeff Zucker has yet to release a statement on the development. News of the show’s ending was announced earlier on Sunday by the head of CNN communications, Allison Gollust.

After crossing the Atlantic to replace Larry King three years ago, it seems to come as no surprise to some that he is stepping down so soon. The former newspaper editor from London has acknowledged that his method of presenting news and commentary is not favored by Americans.

One of the main issues he has discussed and which is said to rub Americans wrong is the fundamental right to bear arms. Many say that when discussing the hot-button issue, his attitude approaches derision for those who demand to maintain their firearms. Speaking to the New York Times’ David Carr, it was a topic he openly admitted has probably contributed significantly to his show’s low viewership.

The animosity appears to run deep and both ways. Morgan’s accent, which many call “posh,” is but one thing that seems to get Americans riled up. Others have expressed distaste for his open preference for football—which Americans call “soccer”—and cricket. But the worst part of the affair still seems to be the issue of guns, which is always a difficult topic when a British citizen argues that Americans should relinquish their right to have firearms.

It should go without saying that the reason many Americans love their guns is because without them, U.S. history would probably not have the preface “U.S.” in the term. It’s easy to get someone to walk the plank when they are unarmed, and Piers Morgan seems to understand that his take on guns may have been what sent many viewers to other shows.

It has been implied by USA Today that for all the discussion about Morgan’s apparent gun debate with the American public, there could be another reason the show is ending. An interview in late 2013 was said by the national newspaper to be part of the investigation regarding hacking into cell phones. While he has not been charged, it is believed that the police are still working on the case that ended the News of the World, a British tabloid owned by Rupert Murdoch and at which Morgan worked until 1995. Regardless of whether he walks the plank here or is forced to do so elsewhere, Piers Morgan is what most journalists seek to avoid: being the news.

By Randall Fleming
    Follow Randall Fleming on Twitter: #BreweryObserver

Sources:
    New York Post
    NY Times
    CNN

User

Wait for him to pop up on sabc..

User

Quote Originally Posted by AGreeff View Post
    “That’s run its course and Jeff and I have been talking for some time about different ways of using me.”
    Maybe they can use him as a tea boy? On second thought, he'll probably screw that up as well.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 30.06 View Post
    I hope he doesn't pitch up somewhere else.
    well...... under a bus would be nice.

User

Quote Originally Posted by tims View Post
    Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy .Good riddance .tims
    Thats exactly what i was going to say.

What a doos, Clarkson should have punched him twice.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast