Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Training to Win - Ben Stoeger

Being continually on the lookout for awesome training material and new ideas on how to improve, I have purchased and read all of Ben Stoeger's training/dry fire books and have found out what I suspected all along - I suck ;)

Ben's books have turned my training from being boring and mundane into structured and efficient and the improvements are tangible.. I am seeing things in my shooting that I had previously only heard about, such as actually SEEING my sights in flight even when shooting on the move.. My shooting has become faster and more accurate and my skill set has increased exponentially. After working through a number of the drills, I had the same desire as I'm sure most of us have had at some time or another - seeing how top guys like Ben would actually do these drills, not just imagining it.

I've been hitting Ben up pretty hard for advice and guidance and as such, I was recently privileged with the opportunity to provide feedback on the pre-release (it's OK if you hate me) and watch the finished product of Ben Stoeger's DVD - Training to Win. All I can say is WOW!

This is unlike any shooting training material I have seen to date, and believe me I scour the internet looking for shooting stuff (as most of us do, I'm sure)

The DVD is balanced between dry fire exercises, live fire exercises (which tie in with the dry fire, just so you can see it applied) and some stage stuff, all of which is really cool. I really like the fact that they left the stuff ups in the DVD which gives a more realistic feel to the DVD as well as reminding all of us that even the top guys make mistakes, and that's OK.

You get to hear Ben giving some insight into stage plans and finer details on some of the drills they do, which is invaluable stuff.

This video is definitely aimed at the intermediate to advanced shooter, as the training material (purposefully) bypasses the stuff you can already get out there such as fundamentals etc and goes straight into drills and tactics and showing you how to practice..

The video also includes Matt Hopkins, who I enjoy watching shoot seeing as I too, am a "large boned" individual. Matt proves that you can be a great shooter even if your physical condition is not the greatest, and I really appreciated seeing that.

My wife also watched the video and she found it really informative and encouraging - she wanted to get down to the range just after *shake head*

The best news of all is that the video is available on Vimeo for digital download and on DVD for the traditional folk ;)

Trailer of the video can be found here: http://vimeo.com/ondemand/10683, DVD can be purchased here: http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/Pro...ctCode=TTW-DVD

I would highly recommend this - I enjoyed it loads!

Disclaimer: I have no commercial interest in this, just spreading the love...

User

Default Re: Training to Win - Ben Stoeger

I've just got "Practical Pistol" by Ben Stoeger and "The Tactical Pistol" by Gabe Suarez despite the best efforts of the striking postal workers. I'm glad they are both thin books because I haven't even had time to browse through them yet. I'm a complete noob, so I surely have to improve very soon

User

I require this.

User

Quote Originally Posted by HadEnuf View Post
    I've just got "Practical Pistol" by Ben Stoeger and "The Tactical Pistol" by Gabe Suarez despite the best efforts of the striking postal workers. I'm glad they are both thin books because I haven't even had time to browse through them yet. I'm a complete noob, so I surely have to improve very soon
    Also get his dry-fire book as well (kindle version is available.
    Champ Shooting: Guarenteed Results in 15 minutes a day. Volume 2.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    I require this.
    +10 000

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosis View Post
    Also get his dry-fire book as well (kindle version is available.
    Champ Shooting: Guarenteed Results in 15 minutes a day. Volume 2
    I have this one. The par times are insane. I have to push really hard to even make the "beginner" par times. I really feel like a novice every time I strap on the dry fire gear and set the timer!
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    I have to push really hard

every time I strap on
    Erm, is it just me this morning? ;)

Are any of the dealers / entrepeneurs on the forum thinking about bringing a few of these in for us?

User

Dickie, you can buy it here and watch online - as a bonus it is $10 cheaper :)

The books are available on Kindle / Kindle App as well. Much cheaper than bringing in a physical book / DVD.

Edit: I should have made that an affiliate link... dammit... ;)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    I have this one. The par times are insane. I have to push really hard to even make the "beginner" par times. I really feel like a novice every time I strap on the dry fire gear and set the timer!
    With you on that bud... it is getting better slowly though...

My draws and reloads let me down big time.

User

Just beware of chasing those PAR times just for the sake of making it. It is easy to just chase the time at the expense of all else, and you will quickly see it during live fire.

I also pushed hard to make the PAR times and when I got to the range it showed in my shooting. Not calling shots or shooting good points, all because I was chasing times! Was a big eye opener for me.

I disregarded the times given and setup the drills on the range and shot them a couple of times while recording my own PAR times for the drills. I use those PAR times as a baseline now. I am still trying to improve in dry fire, but at times more realistic to my shooting and skills. Just my 0,2c's. Works for me.

Yeah makes sense, thanks 1911. I figured as much. I dry fire with the SIRT which gives visual feedback as to where the round would have went, which at least shows me I'm not just slewing shots all over the place.

The portion of the book I'm currently on does not give par times, you have to find your own, so that alleviates the problem a bit.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast