User

Default License confusion

So I applied for my first Firearm license at the end of November last year, it is a 30-06 hunting rifle, I then received an SMS stating my competency is receiving attention at the provincial DFO on the 4th of December, so I thought this is quite slick and seems to be moving along quite nicely.

I left it for a while and called again on January 25th, they told me the app is at the provincial office, it arrived on the 24th of January. It went like this for a while until last week on the 19th of February the chap answering the phone told me the app has gone to approvals, so I am starting to get excited now.
    I phoned again this morning and the gentleman answering the phone now tells me my application is still at the provincial office and it hasn't arrived at the Pretoria office yet? I gently explained that I was told it is at approvals and the chap went off at me asking how I thought this was possible because it takes months for an app to come from the Eastern Cape to Pretoria.

I feel quite confused now, was really looking forward to getting my rifle soon, looks like the long wait must continue....

I will have to try find another hobby to pass the time until then

User

Default Re: License confusion

I have generally found that you can throw the 90 day timeline for getting your license out the window, if you are in the E/Cape. The problem here is your DFO would probably only send your app to province when someone can drive there. Usually once a month and if you missed that lift then you waite another month. Then you have to waite for someone from province to check your app. They then send apps to the CFR when someone can drive to Pretoria and take new apps with. Usually once a month. Thats already 60+ days gone.

So be patient and hope they don't loose your app, which sometimes seems to be the norm. The fun doesn't end there though. The next little hurdle will be getting your license card after your app has been approved. Good luck!

I hope you made copies.