Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Re: IDPA Povisional Multi Gun Rules

Quote Originally Posted by KFP
    Doesn't the IDPA rulebook state "The International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) is the governing body of a shooting sport that simulates self-defense scenarios and real life encounters

Just picture the scenario "Frik, the farmer wakes up in the middle of the night - he hears a noise coming from the cow shed. He walks over to the window and sees a group of armed men stealing his cattle. He shouts at them to stop stealing his cattle - the BGs start firing at him. He runs over to the bed and grabs his 10 shot LM 5 to defend himself.

Ja sure ..................... very likely hpy194
    I dont think its that far fetched. Do the words "farm murders" ring any bells?

Quote Originally Posted by Count Bla
    Doesn't the IDPA rulebook state "The International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) is the governing body of a shooting sport that simulates self-defense scenarios and real life encounters

Just picture the scenario "Frik, the farmer wakes up in the middle of the night - he hears a noise coming from the cow shed. He walks over to the window and sees a group of armed men stealing his cattle. He shouts at them to stop stealing his cattle - the BGs start firing at him. He runs over to the bed and grabs his 10 shot LM 5 to defend himself.

Ja sure ..................... very likely hpy194
    I dont think its that far fetched. Do the words "farm murders" ring any bells?
    You should be able to do a lot of damage with a 10 shot LM5. Proper cover and knowledge of your surroundings and a spare mag of two and the job can be done. Remember wars was fought with bolt action 303 with reloading clips and not changing mags.

While I would not deny there are better setups out there, I will take a 10 shot LM5 with some spare loaded mags any night over a stern word and a harsh look! ;D

The 10rd rule, as has been said before, is all about keeping a level playing field so things don't degenerate into a capacity race, etc.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

KFP

Quote Originally Posted by ikor
    The 10rd rule, as has been said before, is all about keeping a level playing field so things don't degenerate into a capacity race, etc.
    What capacity race ? This is not the USA - the most common weapons we have in semi-auto here have a minimum capacity of at least 20 !! We're talking LMs, Mini 14s and ARs. There might be one or two M1 carbines, but even they have 15 rounds.

The farm situation I described before is very real and the reality is that the farmer would most definitely be taking them on with at least a 35 round mag in his LM.

The 3 gun rules might be great for the USA - but I don't think they have any relevance to "self-defense scenarios and real life encounters" as per the IDPA rulebook in SOUTH AFRICA. confused0083

BTW: Corne - the rules don't allow you to carry more than one mag on ur body. Bolt actions would be in a different division.

I think that the key word in the IDPA rules is "simulate". It does not say replicate. The point has been made about the capacity rule time and time again. If unlimited capacity is permitted then the guys with LMs will buy 50 round mags, then the guys with ARs will respond with 150 round Cmags and so on and so forth. This is not the point of IDPA. Its supposed to be a "run what ya brung" kind of thing.(within reason)

If unlimited capacity was permitted then we would have to have over 100 round stages. This is practically and economically impossible for most ranges to present and for most shooters to afford.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

KFP

Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    If unlimited capacity was permitted then we would have to have over 100 stages
    That's not what I'm saying - that's what IPSC caters for.

I'm saying that a "realistic" and reasonable limit should be placed on mag capacity. Most of the people I know with semis have at least a 20 round mag - seems reasonable to me ??

As you say IDPA is supposed to be a "run what ya brung" kind of thing. How many IDPA shooters do you know who brung 10 shot semi auto rifles to the range ? confused0083

If we think affordability, the 10 round capacity is not a bad idea, maybe not realistic, but it may also keep it more accessable. If we end up with 30 round stages, and you purchase factory ammo, you'll be looking at around R300 per stage, phew. But I'm not involved in the sport currently, so its just my opinion.

However, if you practice with 10 rounds and make each one count, what a blessing it would be if you find yourself in a real life situation and you have 20-30 beans that you can make count. ;)
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

BulM5rocks

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    If we end up with 30 round stages, and you purchase factory ammo, you'll be looking at around R300 per stage, phew
    Yikes Craig if I paid R10 a round I'd be insisting on a maximum round count of 10 for the whole shoot !!! cfd89

Quote Originally Posted by ikor
    What capacity race ? This is not the USA - the most common weapons we have in semi-auto here have a minimum capacity of at least 20 !! We're talking LMs, Mini 14s and ARs. There might be one or two M1 carbines, but even they have 15 rounds.

The farm situation I described before is very real and the reality is that the farmer would most definitely be taking them on with at least a 35 round mag in his LM.

The 3 gun rules might be great for the USA - but I don't think they have any relevance to "self-defense scenarios and real life encounters" as per the IDPA rulebook in SOUTH AFRICA. confused0083

BTW: Corne - the rules don't allow you to carry more than one mag on ur body. Bolt actions would be in a different division.

I am well aware of the fact that such situations are a very real and present danger in SA, and am not necessarily defending the 10rd rule. I have never shot an IDPA match, but commonly available modern rifles here usually are similar in mag capacity to what you mention...20-35rd capacity, but such things are part and parcel of any organized sport where there are 'winners' and 'losers' and often the rules come to overpower the original intent of why the sport was founded in the first place. Still, it IS a 'sport' and as such is closer to reality than IPSC is these days. Perhaps the SA chapter could lobby the head office for a few changes in the rules there?
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Quote Originally Posted by BulM5rocks
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    If we end up with 30 round stages, and you purchase factory ammo, you'll be looking at around R300 per stage, phew
    Yikes Craig if I paid R10 a round I'd be insisting on a maximum round count of 10 for the whole shoot !!! cfd89

Remind me never to buy ammo from your gunshop !!
    Anyone know what PMP or the likes go for, maybe I'm well off the mark? :-[ I was quoting something I heard the other day, so it was 3rd hand info. ???
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    -Winston Churchill

GunSite South Africa
    Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast