Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Howa owners: I love my Howa because... (please add your reasons)

One of the things I do for a living is test cars. There are a few things to consider. Stuff like price, intended use, ergonomics, dynamics (handling to normal folk) and ability to do what it says on the can. It is also common knowledge that the Japanese manufacture some of the best vehicles on earth.

It therefore came as no surprise to me what a great bargain my Howa in 30-06 was. Three-shot clovers at 100m, deathray in the hunting field and without any drama. A bit like a Hilux bakkie.

I like it so much that I've just bought a Howa in 243 to complement the 30-06 Howa and 270 (BSA that shoots shotgun-like groupings).

So let us Howa owners tell one another (and those open-minded enough to listen) why we possibly have the best hunting rifles in the world, rand-for-rand.

Here goes:

I love my Howa because it's an affordable and uber-reliable tack driver. It makes people who pay four times as much for a rifle look decidedly silly.

User

Default Re: Howa owners: I love my Howa because... (please add your reasons)

In the interest of fair disclosure I sold mine because I was never going to take it hunting.

But I loved the fact that out the box it shot sub MOA with factory ammo.

User

I love my Howa because once I added a Leupold VX2 3-9X40 scope on it, I could compete (bushveld hunting and average distance range use) with just about any other premium rifle. Best part? Rifle and scope were both brand new and I came in under 10k (just over a year ago)

User

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko View Post
    Here goes:

I love my Howa because it's an affordable and uber-reliable tack driver. It makes people who pay four times as much for a rifle look decidedly silly.

+1000. You coundn't have said it beter.

User

So let us Howa owners tell one another (and those open-minded enough to listen) why we possibly have the best hunting rifles in the world, rand-for-rand.
    Calling them possibly the best hunting rifles in the world is a stretch by any reasonable man's standards, but...

...I love my Howa because it is a very affordable tack driving beauty. The value for money is unmatched and I can introduce people to shooting and hunting without them having to touch my "special" rifles.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Calling them possibly the best hunting rifles in the world is a stretch by any reasonable man's standards, but...
    But...then what would?

Calling something "best" when it comes to rifles is really simple, as it does not have a million moving parts like a space shuttle, the job it must perform is based on more than a century old technology.
    I guess you can narrow it down to 3 things, functionality, reliability and accuracy. Is a Howa best at those 3, I seriously doubt it. Does it perform very well in regards to those 3 aspects when you keep in mind it's price........hell yeah!

Now you do read every day that a rifle should feel special for the specific person, problem with humans is they have evolved to put great emphasis on money, meaning the more you have then mostly in society the more important or powerful you become. This phenomenon I have known all my life, as I have seen plenty idiots with expensive rifles looking down on the poorer man, yet being absolutely humiliated when they have to apply skill with the specific device, go figure.

Now with all things in life there comes a point when the tool at hand is more than sufficient for the job, yet more expensive models are made for people who does have more money, and does want to stand out from the crowd. One thing is for certain, a VO Falcon sure as hell do not hunt any better than a plain old Howa, it just costs a hell of a lot more.

The crux, some people who have expensive guns are assholes, some are not. Those whom are not have shared many a campfire with me, and between friends even a fair amount of teasing the other over his plain old Howa is acceptable. True friends know to measure the person, not the money he's got.

Philosophy debate over, I am not the sentimental type when it comes to the specific brand of firearms, they must just be accurate and reliable in doing their job, as the act of hunting itself carries 99.something % of the weight for me. So I must keep it simple unfortunately :

I do not love Howa's, yet I do love my Howa's, because they are mine, because of the blood on the stock in the pictures and the sand in the actions I remove after a long and argues hunt, the scars on the stock, the biltong I chew on and the meat in the pot, all these things remind me of my hunts, and I love MY Howa's for giving me those memories, el-cheapo or not.

User

Being lazy, I'll just copy and paste from a previous post.

I've owned a Howa (.300 win mag) since 2000. I hunt with it 2-3 times a week. I let hunting clients use it. It gets rained on, rattles around in a landcruiser, get dragged through thorn bush, dropped occasionally and abused in various other ways that only people using a borrowed rifle are capable of dreaming up. The only problem I've ever had was getting a case stuck in the chamber due to my lack of attention while sorting cases for reloading. It shoots MOA groups at 200 meters. It kills more game in a year than most hunting rifles kill in the lifetime of its owner.
    A friend has two (.30-'06) that are used as loaners by his safari company, they've been used and abused (mostly the latter) since 2003, both are still going strong.
    They are accurate, reliable, has good triggers and are as close to indestructable as is possible. You won't find a better rifle for twice the price.

User

The functional reason I consider Howa's not to be the best is because the final fit and finish is poor. To me, it is important for rifles to look good. Just because it is functional, reliable and accurate doesn't mean they have to assemble it like Flash Gordon. Mine was assembled a little skew and the finish on the stock was something resembling a high school woodwork project, albeit minor problems which I had the joy of sorting out myself.

Messor, I obviously agree that owning a quality rifle doesn't necessarily make you a good hunter and you will find nice people and not so nice people shooting both good quality and lesser quality rifles.

If I can compare rifles to cars. Even though an old Volksie can get you from point A to point B just fine, traveling there in a Rolls Royce does mean you get to experience a unique set of joys.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Wesley, you omitted my "rand-for-rand" qualification about Howas being possibly the best hunting rifles out there.

That was either very naughty or very sloppy of you.

User

One of the things I do for a living is test cars.
    I knew it!! Jacko is the Stig!!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast