Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Impala roast in flat pot ....

Hi all,

Anyone have advise on do's and don't for a impala roasted in flat pot on coals? how long? how much heat? marinade?

User

Default Re: Impala roast in flat pot ....

Marinade is up to you, I usually stuff it with garlic, coriander and whole black pepper corns then inject a mixture of Worchester sauce, balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Keep in fridge and turn regularly. The MOST IMPORTANT thing is, do not let it go dry!!!!! Keep at least 1/4 filled with water, don't boil it, and keep the heat down, few coals at the bottom and 3 or 4 on top like when baking bread. It does take a long time, 3 - 4 hours if you want to do it properly. You can mix some beef or chicken stock with your water to add flavor, I usually use chicken stack myself and also add mixed seasoning to it, parsley, thyme and basil.

Banned

Hi Porker,
    If you enjoy the flavor of Impala, please don't add all of the sh1t that JFE does. the simple way, if you enjoy venison, if from a young ram or female, rub with a little sunflower oil, sprinkle a little salt and pepper, place on a trivet in your bake pot, as a guide 20 mins per pound, you are looking for a core temp of between 170-180 degrees dependent on how well you like your meat cooked, a few coals under the pot and fill the lid with as much heat as pos. as soon as you reach the core temp remove it from the pot and allow to rest for about 15mins before you carve, keep it simple and enjoy the flavor of the Impala. If the meat is from an old ram, cut it up and make stew.

Venison is the only meat I have eaten for the past 25 years

User

Quote Originally Posted by JFE View Post
    Marinade is up to you, I usually stuff it with garlic, coriander and whole black pepper corns then inject a mixture of Worchester sauce, balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Keep in fridge and turn regularly. The MOST IMPORTANT thing is, do not let it go dry!!!!! Keep at least 1/4 filled with water, don't boil it, and keep the heat down, few coals at the bottom and 3 or 4 on top like when baking bread. It does take a long time, 3 - 4 hours if you want to do it properly. You can mix some beef or chicken stock with your water to add flavor, I usually use chicken stack myself and also add mixed seasoning to it, parsley, thyme and basil.

Sounds fantastic will give it a bash next time.

I would spice the roast and then seal the meat in a very hot pot.

Instead of the trivet I would have it on a "bed of roots". 2 large carrots and large celery stick cut in 50mm long pieces along with a large onion coarsely chopped. When the pot cools a little lay these on the bottom and then place the meat on top of the "bed of roots". This creates a vegetable stock that, when combined with the meat juices will create a nice gravy. You may need to thicken it slighty or add a chopped pototo which will cook to nothing and thicken the gravy.

I would poke fine slits in the roast and spike it with a piece of spek and a couple of Rosemay leaves to get some moisture in and would also consider covering it with streaky bacon.

I would cook it to an internal temperature of 60 deg C (Medium) and once there remove and allow to rest under some tinfoil. Resting meat is particularly important with venison, the sinews relax and allow the juices to draw back into the meat evenly. The killer of all venison is when it is cooked well done to dry.

While resting remove the celery and carrots but keep the onions and thicken the gravy. You could also use packet mushroom or onion soup to thicken the gravy, carefull add little bits at a time. Make sure that the soup or the thickening agent cooks through properly. A nice touch for me is to add a couple of teaspoons of green madagascar peppercorns to the gravy.

Gotta cook it real slow don't forget a couple of coals on the lid to create the oven effect.

I just rub mine in olive oil and coarse salt and pepper. Brown in with a hot pot and slow cook with veggies of choice (coarse is best, onions carrots potatoes and baby marrows added about half way through the cycle ) together with some liquid. Sometimes I add red wine to the stock about 30minutes before it is done. Have also stuffed garlic into slits cut in the roast.
    Unless you don't like the taste of game simpler is better, as long as you don't overcook it, it works best for me if the meat is still pink for the most part.

Banned

Talking Re: Impala roast in flat pot ....

Good one Andrew, I'll try your idea of replacing the trivet with veg this evening, sounds good, I would worry about cutting slits as this will allow the juices to escape, your temp of 60 degrees c is the same as I have my geyser set to, a bit cool, how long per kilo at 60? I'll try anything once. Be careful with Olive Oil, extra virgin can become toxic at high temps, rather use an oil with a high flash point.

I was going to abbreviate Baboon Shooter but I though BS would be a little harsh .

It depends on the roast size but for about 3 and a bit hours. I think we spoke past each other on the temperature, I was talking about internal meat temperature not "oven" temperature.

One extra tip, always cook with red wine ................ you can even add some to the pot if it pleases you.

Banned

Cool Re: Impala roast in flat pot ....

Hi Andrew,
    Always cook with a couple of lts of Charles's best, the only time the pot sees any is when I dribble. Nice to meet someone that likes their venison as it should be.
    Try this one; de-bone a leg of Impala,(read Springbok, MRB, even Warthog) open from the inside of the leg and flatten,(butterfly) make a paste of a little coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper, a crushed clove of garlic and a little oil(not a strong flavored oil),rub well into the meat, put in a plastic bag in the fridge overnight, it can be frozen at this stage, allow to heat to room temp before cooking over a moderate fire, on the grid or on a cast iron plate, rest for about 10 to 15 mins before slicing, sit back and watch it disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Baboon Shooter View Post
    Hi Andrew,
    Always cook with a couple of lts of Charles's best, the only time the pot sees any is when I dribble. Nice to meet someone that likes their venison as it should be.
    Try this one; de-bone a leg of Impala,(read Springbok, MRB, even Warthog) open from the inside of the leg and flatten,(butterfly) make a paste of a little coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper, a crushed clove of garlic and a little oil(not a strong flavored oil),rub well into the meat, put in a plastic bag in the fridge overnight, it can be frozen at this stage, allow to heat to room temp before cooking over a moderate fire, on the grid or on a cast iron plate, rest for about 10 to 15 mins before slicing, sit back and watch it disappear.
    Now that sounds lekker, have doen something similar with a leg of lamb. That would actualy make a great starter for lots of guys, cut thick slices off and chomp from the braai. Salivate ....... salivate .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast