Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default Missing Aircraft - Air Malaysia MH370...

Incredible given todays technology that a plane can just "go missing" Plane went missing after 1 hour. No trace of debris on flight path. No mayday call. Plane just dropped off radar and all comms. http://news.yahoo.com/malaysia-probing-possible-terror-jet-mystery-040054668.html;_ylt=AwrSyCPo6htTqAoASGHQtDMD

User

Default Re: Missing Aircraft - Air Malaysia MH370...

They found oilslick on the water close to the last known position.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    They found oilslick on the water close to the last known position.
    They have found two slicks. No Debris or flotsam. Last I heard was that they were analyzing the slick to confirm its origination. There is speculation that the crew turned back, maybe the slick is from a fuel dump? But if that was the case, there is no declaration of an emergency or no change of flight plan. Flight just disappeared without any comms.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Incredible given todays technology that a plane can just "go missing" Plane went missing after 1 hour.
    You'd think so, but people forget how big the world really is.

In 1999 a helicopter went missing in the Knysna area. The wreckage was only found in 2006.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Fair enough JS4. But in all fairness, we have come a loooong way techwise since '99. But I hear you. The earth is huge, the ocean more so. Just amazed given all the tracking hardware on commercial air traffic operations, they can't say where the flight is within 5kms. Poor buggers, I hope the families get some answers soon. The Air France flight that went down some years back was also only found after a few days or so.

User

The Air France flight that went down some years back was also only found after a few days or so.
    Exactly.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Fair enough JS4. But in all fairness, we have come a loooong way techwise since '99. But I hear you. The earth is huge, the ocean more so. Just amazed given all the tracking hardware on commercial air traffic operations, they can't say where the flight is within 5kms. Poor buggers, I hope the families get some answers soon. The Air France flight that went down some years back was also only found after a few days or so.
    Telematics aren't installed as standard on international airlines. Some do it for numerous reasons, but most do not. So if radar contact is lost with the aircraft, it really can go missing anywhere between the loss of contact and the crash site...which is obviously an unknown location.

News yesterday was that two passengers boarded the aircraft with stolen passports, which gives rise to a suspicion of terrorism.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    News yesterday was that two passengers boarded the aircraft with stolen passports, which gives rise to a suspicion of terrorism.
    Do you have a link perchance? It doesn't sound implausible at all. Then again, there could be sundry reasons for travelling on a stolen passport, especially considering the drug smuggling that goes on in that part of the world.

Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast