3 20.00%

1 6.67%

3 20.00%

2 13.33%
  • 30-06

6 40.00%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default im a young hunter who would really like to buy a 7x64

hi guys im a 16 year old boy and i am very keen about hunting and shooting. I am looing for a 7x64 for my father so if any one knows of one please let me know

User

Default Re: im a young hunter who would really like to buy a 7x64

Welcome to Gunsite :)

good on yer matey, ping this in the firearms wanted section as well
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

thanx guys fighting0002

User

Welcome,

(used) 7x64 rifles are hard to come by at the moment. I have been looking for one for the last 6 months. You can get a new CZ 550 for around R12,500. Zastava also make rifles in 7x64 but the importers are out if stock I am told and next shipment should arrive early next year.

The 7x64 is an excellent choice. It (along with the .280 Remington) deserves greater popularity than what it has achieved.

The flow of 2nd hand rifles into the market has also it seems almost ceased with the license renewal period having past and also with owners awaiting the outcome of the court decision next year with regards to validity of old licenses.

I your dad does not already have a .30-06, I would suggest looking at getting a good 2nd hand rifle in this. These are plentiful and ballistics are very similar. A .270 is also an option if you do not need to fire bullets heavier than 150 grain. If you are in no rush then a 7x64 will present itself at some point I am sure.

Good luck.

Cheers

User

High Lighty and welcome. Good to see the younsters comming through to continue the sport.

What is the reason for specifically wanting the 7X64?

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Hi Lighty and welcome.

All the points made above are relevant. Can I suggest that you look at the ballistics of your chosen calibre, and then come up with a short list of others that would do a similar thing to your 7x64?

While most would have their favourites, at the pointy end of the thing that does the work, my feeling is that there is very little difference between a whole host of popular calibres. I would take things like the availability and cost of reloading components into consideration when establishing your list.

By way of example, I shoot with some guys who love their .308W and use them in Namibia, where long shots on Gemsbok are often required. Their is also a guy in our hunting party that hunts exclusively with a .303Br and has pulled off some mind blowing things with it (I would add the proverb here "beware of the man with one gun"). More important than calibre choice is competence and practice.

Make no mistake, I love the 7x64 - and you should jump at it if you find the right one.

All the very best!

Sweet

User

Welcome. There is only one fault with the 7 x 64: it takes away all the reasons for owning a second (medium) hunting caliber. It is probably the closest thing to an all round medium caliber ever invented!

shot guys for all the help. I just want a gun that will perform on small and medium game. so please help with your suggestions. and once agen shot for the help guys

User

Quote Originally Posted by lighty
    I just want a gun that will perform on small and medium game. so please help with your suggestions. and once agen shot for the help guys
    The .30-06 will do everything you want it to. 150 - 168 grain loads for longer (200m+) shots on small to medium game and 180 - 200 grainers for closer stuff.

The 7x64 is also an excellent choice but as I mentioned above harder to come by whereas .30-06 rifles can be found at any good gun shop. If I ddi not already have a .30-06 I would definitely buy one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast