Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    User

Default Re: How much would you pay to have your knife sharpened?

The Lansky can be hard work at times to sharpen knives. I've had one for years now, and it follows me (especially) on fishing trips. Try sharpening a serrated edge with it some time - that's a trial in patience. I've never looked around very hard for a decent strop though, too lazy to scour Cape Town. Usually the edges I'm working on are for utility knives (cleaning/filleting/kitchen) so I don't worry about a very fine edge. My wife is quite hard on knife edges, so it's just a frustration spending too much time on a blade to have her kill it in two nights.

User

Quote Originally Posted by dux View Post
    My wife is quite hard on knife edges, so it's just a frustration spending too much time on a blade to have her kill it in two nights.
    granite or steel surfaces are obviously much harder on edges than wood or plastic cutting boards

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    granite or steel surfaces are obviously much harder on edges than wood or plastic cutting boards
    Yup. I am a knife nut and have a selection of hard sought out kitchen knives that I love like family pets. My fish knives in particular are one of life's finer treasures. I go nuts when my wife uses them directly on the granite tops. In fact there are some she refuses to touch, because I always watch her when she does. :)

Banned

NNNB NOTICE: the Tolmek is a wonderful machine. Just take care to empty the water bucket ie DO NOT leave the stone standing in the provided water bucket. A very good friend lost his stone because it wobbled when he started working again.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    NNNB NOTICE: the Tolmek is a wonderful machine. Just take care to empty the water bucket ie DO NOT leave the stone standing in the provided water bucket. A very good friend lost his stone because it wobbled when he started working again.
    This.

And clean the reservoir every time, directly after using, or the sludge in the bottom gets hard and then you can forget about getting it out.

User

What Ds J and Toxxyc said.
    RTFM

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
    What Ds J and Toxxyc said.
    RTFM
    One should always listen to the dominee

And RTFM would prevent a whole lot of other ***** from happening!

User

I've thought about this as well.
    If you want to sharpen professionally, I think there's 2 markets: (1) knife people and (2) non-knife people.

(1) knife people:
    here you're talking to people who like knives, they have serious (expensive) knives who don't know how to or couldn't be bothered to do their own sharpening. That group can be further divided into utility knives (people who use their knives) and knives that sit in glass cabinets.
    I'm guessing these people would be willing to pay upwards of R50 per knife for a good sharpen. If it's a collectors showcase knife with mirror finish and fancy trimmings, maybe more. These people would usually know what 'sharp' is so these knives would take time and care. But you'd get pretty fast.

(2) Non-knife people.
    These are the folk struggling year after year with a kitchen drawer full of horribly blunt knives and scissors. Here your charge per knife would be less. Maybe do them in lots - like R200 per 5 knives or something like that. You'd have to convince them how much it will change their lives and their cooking :)
    These knives would be much quicker. Just need a decent edge, not shaving sharp. Maybe 10 - 15 mins a knife and they'd feel a huge difference and be very happy and recommend you to their friends. While you're about it you can do their garden panga and axe, mower blades etc. This is a much bigger market but the problem is how do you reach them - how do they get to know about you.

As someone mentioned earlier, transport is an issue. Nobody wants to drive an hour to drop off knives and then fetch them. So a pick-up service (maybe paying some part-time dude with a scooter) would help a lot. A door-to-door service (like the tinkers in the old days) would be quite a fun novelty as well. Drive around the suburbs on Sat mornings with a big sign and do sharpening from your car boot.

User

Yeah I have up on this.

I met a well known knife sharpener in good wood. He sharpens knives for international people as well. They courier their knives to him to sharpen it and couriers it back.

Razor edge with micro edge on my one knife as R80 and mirror finished with micro edge as well R120 on my other knife. Here you can see how he sharpened mine. The micro edge is awesome as touching it up is quick and back to shaving sharp in a few strokes.

My Burger LEXK

My Al Mar Sere 2000

User

Quote Originally Posted by ravingDIODE View Post
    Yeah I have up on this.

I met a well known knife sharpener in good wood. He sharpens knives for international people as well. They courier their knives to him to sharpen it and couriers it back.

Razor edge with micro edge on my one knife as R80 and mirror finished with micro edge as well R120 on my other knife. Here you can see how he sharpened mine. The micro edge is awesome as touching it up is quick and back to shaving sharp in a few strokes.

My Burger LEXK

My Al Mar Sere 2000
    Looks amazing! Care to share contact details?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast