User

Default Synthetic stocks. Good or bad?

Hi,

the guys at my local gunshop were telling me the other day that one should stay away from synthetic stocks as they can or will bend with heat.

According to them synthetic stocks are more suited to cold and wet conditions and not hot African conditions. Laminated stocks are thus better?

How likely is a synthetic stock to warp under heat? My thinking is that this may be plausible but would take some extreme heat to happen.

Cheers

User

Default Re: Synthetic stocks. Good or bad?

As far as I'm aware, the wooden stocks will naturally shrink and swell with heat/cold, and the Synthetic Stocks remain stable?
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

There are basically two kinds of synthetic stock available: Injection molded and laid synthetic; using either fiber glass, carbon, Kevlar or any combination of these materials. Based on my own experience and that of many of my clients, I will steer clear of the injection molded stocks. The laid synthetics on the other hand, are generally excellent, if somewhat more expensive. There is a company in SA which makes the laid synthetic stocks and although they need some fitting for optimal results, are generally excellent (I have no connection with this company, but have used their products.)

Personally, I am a wood stock fan but will admit that there is a place for synthetics, especially in working/professional rifles. Provided the product is of good quality and properly fitted, it will provide exceptional service. As to laminated stocks; I have seen some very good products and also some which de laminated after a few shots. Again, quality of manufacture is the key.

On a tactical/scout/working type of rifle, I would definitely consider a synthetic stock - be guided by military snipers the world over. If you are looking foe a hunting rifle in the classic mold and if you are prepared to spend the extra money; go with wood: there is noting to beat a nice wood stock on a classic rifle.

User

Thanks for the helpful info,

Quote Originally Posted by gunsports
    There is a company in SA which makes the laid synthetic stocks and although they need some fitting for optimal results, are generally excellent (I have no connection with this company, but have used their products.)
    is the company that you refer to Armtec?

I must say that I also prefer wood but that seems to be coming at a hefty price as the moment and I would rather have a well-fitted synthetic stock than a cheap-looking wood stock.

User

is the company that you refer to Armtec?
    Yup