Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: What exactly happens to a S13 (SD) application once handed in?

Walther, let me try and answer your question.

1. Buy firearm (Most important..wayyy before doing competency ;) )
    2. Do competency.
    3. Hand in application for competency and firearm application.
    4. Fingerprints etc are taken and then the application lies on your DFO's desk for a few days.
    5. The DFO then eventually picks up your application, checks for a photo of safe or comes and inspects. He also calls your references first to do some background checking etc..
    6. Depending how far your provincial office is from your DFO, the DFO either takes applications through every week, or every second week. (Maybe once a month if you live in the middle of nowhere)
    7. The applications are collected at provincial and once a month all applications are sent to CFR.
    ---By this time it could be 2-4 weeks of not more---
    8. CFR received your application and the firearm application goes to one devision and the competency application to another.
    9. Person A capturing your firearm application sees that you don't have competency yet but there is an application pending on the system. So Person A puts it on a pile of applications which are awaiting competency approvals first.
    10. Your competency application is captured and then sent to a separate division (off site) which does all the background checks etc etc.. If all good it gets sent back and then competency gets processed.
    11. Competency then goes into consideration to a panel and they approve it or disapprove it.
    12. Once approved, you must hope Person A has been checking often otherwise Person A has no clue it is approved and your firearm application is still lying on the pile.
    13. Eventually your application is picked up and again and upon seeing competency is issued, it gets processed and sent to a panel for consideration.
    14. Once approved, Provincial (in our case in CPT) gets notified and they print your card. This happens fairly quickly here in CPT, Durbanville. I waited 3 days in both gun applications for my card, after getting the approved sms.
    15. Card is printed and your DFO needs to pick it up on his next trip to provincial.
    16. You rush to DFO, pick up card and rush to dealer to fetch that neglected baby!

Did I miss out on anything?

User

Oh and this all happens in 3 months provided you already have competency. If not then maybe 4. Mine took 4, my mom's took 2 and half months.

R.I.P. Feb 2015

Thanks for the info. I like the 2.5 month idea but with the app already a month old before leaving dfo the chance is real slim to non existent.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bokman View Post
    Thanks for the info. I like the 2.5 month idea but with the app already a month old before leaving dfo the chance is real slim to non existent.
    Yeah but it depends on your dfo.

My dad had to make fire under the DFO's chair when he handed in his.

The guy said it is in process. Month later my dad rock up and tune him.. still nothing. 2 weeks after that my dad rocked up again and said he not leaving till he get's an answer as to the status. The dfo scratches around and finds my dad's application right at the bottom of a pile of files on his desk. so it had been lying there for 2 months. Once it was processed and sent to provincial though it was less than 2 months.

R.I.P. Feb 2015

The guy said it is in process. Month later my dad rock up and tune him.. still nothing. 2 weeks after that my dad rocked up again and said he not leaving till he get's an answer as to the status. The dfo scratches around and finds my dad's application right at the bottom of a pile of files on his desk. so it had been lying there for 2 months. Once it was processed and sent to provincial though it was less than 2 months.

@#$%@#$%@#$. This makes me swear too much!!!!!!!

User

@#$%@#$%@#$. This makes me swear too much!!!!!!!
    lol and you are only working yourself up!

Call CFR and ask the status of your application... I called them every 2nd night around midnight to ask the status..

User

Yeah the DFO's are often the weak link. When the app gets to CFR things move at an ok pace most of the time.

My app took 6 months as i applied for comp first. When that was allowed then the DFO took my licence app. So that was 6 months of lots of calling.

User

Oh and when they say its in process, that is not what the screen reads.

That is their way of answering, Ask what exactly the screen says. Then you get answers like its still with provincial etc. My app was in process for about a month, and every time i asked they said its in process. Then i asked exactly what it said... they then said it says received. it say like that for 2 months, then i got the CFR Capt. involved and it turned out they lost my app.

Had to reapply but they made a plan to get it there faster and as soon as they received it they pushed it to the front.

R.I.P. Feb 2015

Reminds me of the song: Love hurts!!!! Cannot remember who the singer is.

Reminds me of the song: Love hurts!!!! Cannot remember who the singer is.
    Nazareth

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast