Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Beretta PX4 Storm compred to the Z88/Beretta 92 (my opinion)

A few months ago my Z88 was replaced with the Beretaa PX4 Storm as my new service/duty pistol.

My opinion:

My opinion on the PX4 compared to the Z88/Beretta 92 which I carried for 12 years.

The Z88 is a heavy bulky pistol.
    Tough, rugged and I never experienced one single failure with it.
    Did a course 6 months ago, a very intense tactical urban, rural and weapon course (at the level of Mational Intervention unit level 1, which is second to the Special Task Force. just to give an idea on how tough it is.)
    I was issued with a Beretta 92 FS at the course and found it being more accurate than the Z88. Although, it did not like dust and I had a few stoppages which I had to rectify under a huge amount of stress.
    I did a few similar courses with my Z88 and never ever had stopages. The plastic recoil rod on the 92 FS is slightly of putting.
    Overall the 92 FS feels better in my hands than the Z88. I actually sourced the grips off the 92 FS and replaced it on my Z88. made a huge difference!!
    the Z88 was tried, tested and proven with the 92 series of pistols in the SAP for the last 25 years plus. I really had a heartsore moment the day I had to hand it in for the PX4 storm... Wish I can buy that Z88 from the government....
    even during real life action my Z88 never failed me. I also carried a 92 SB during my first years. Also a supberb pistol.
    magazines are readilly available and plenty of them floating around in the SAPS.
    the Z88/Beretta 92 feeds on any ammo it is given. Never had a problem.

The PX4 storm:

Very light, compact and very concealable while being off duty or when wearing civilian clothes.
    The sight and target alignment is very fast and the sights are very much better compared to the Z88. The 92 FS has the similiar white dots than the PX4 which is also nice!
    Recoil is allot less than the Z88. which makes double tapping and grouping way better. Which helps allot as I do practical pistol shooting as a sport in the SAPS. my scores are way better than with the Z88.
    although some still use the Z88/92 and sometimes scores are better than mine.... Maybe because the Px4 grips better in my smaller hands thus making shooting better for me and not necessarily for others.
    The Storm can take 17+1 rounds where the Z88 takes 15+1. Although I had a magazine for my Z88 that took 17 rounds also.
    The rotating bolt makes a huge difference in my opinion as it seems to me it works almost in the same method as the R5/4 LM4/5 series rifles.
    Downside I have currently is the availability of magazines and spares currently in the SAPS.
    They have bought and issued more than 40000 PX4 pistol to date to us members so I am sure spares will be available soon though as well as extra mags.
    And I have never had a stopage as yet with my PX4.

My perfect pistol?
    A Z88 with the size and weight of the Px4 as well as the sights hehehehe

As time goes by I will add more detail how it peforms. Only time will tell....

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: Beretta PX4 Storm compred to the Z88/Beretta 92 (my opinion)

Thank you for your reveiw. I enjoy user , hands on input.

I found that the Px is has a recoil that is snappier than the Z88.
    I also found that the Px is not much softer shooting than the Z88 to make a huge difference in accuracy.

I own both.

The Px in 45 is a winner ))
    Last edited by KK20; 24-03-2014 at 20:33.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Thanks for your review. I would like to hear a update once you have spent more time with the px4.

User

Would you suggest the PX4 for a woman with smallish hands as a SD FA? I'm looking for ideas for a 9mmP FA for my wife as she currently have a Beretta 950 Jetfire. I have now convinced her to get a new firearm...... And of course, I can shoot with it as well when we go to the range.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoc View Post
    Would you suggest the PX4 for a woman with smallish hands as a SD FA? I'm looking for ideas for a 9mmP FA for my wife as she currently have a Beretta 950 Jetfire. I have now convinced her to get a new firearm...... And of course, I can shoot with it as well when we go to the range.....
    When I shot a PX4 I was surprised by the high felt recoil. It seems to recoil more than it should in my view.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

SSP , same here

User

I own a PX4 in .40S&W. I shot it back to back with a Glock 23 Gen 2. The glock recoiled more than the Beretta. You should compare apples with apples. A steel frame pistol VS. a polymer frame pistol is not fair.

i did

glock , phantom, hk, SR9, 2022, SWMP

User

I have found that most ladies can easily rack the slide and manipulate the PX4. The triggers are quite smooth and relatively light compared to the 92 series.

I have both a 92FS and a PX4 as duty pistols and have been tasked with a spesific testing procedure with the PX4 for research purposes. Up to date the pistol has fired 2043 rounds. It is more accurate than my 92FS.

I personally do not think it recoils "harder/heavier" than the 92FS, but it defnitely moves around more during recoil than the 92FS. I find it much easier to control the recoil of the 92FS and can track the front sight much better and more consistently on the 92. None of the ladies that have shot it found the recoil uncontrolable or unpleasant though.

All in all I think the PX4 is a good gun, but there are a couple of things I do not like about them.
    1st: due to the rotating barrel the slide is wide and chunky. Its smaller overall than the 92, but it is wider through the slide and that makes it a bit uncomfortable for me when carrying IWB.
    2nd: I do not like the sights. The front and rear sights give a good sight picture with enough light on the sides of the front sight, but the front sight is a wide blob that covers too much of the target. Normally I would reduce the front sight width on the lathe, but the aperture on the rear sight will then be too wide in comparison. I am thus stuck with the "fat" front sight.
    3rd: I am not happy with the qaulity of the mag springs. The springs seem underpowered and sluggish feeding the ammo, especialy when loaded to full capacity. I have not been able find any replacement springs yet.

Due to the factors mentioned above and the more consistent recoil and sight tracking, I still prefer the 92FS over the PX4 and use the 92 as my every day duty gun. YMMV

User

Apologies if this is a noob question/thead hijack, but Im wondering what sights are you guys (SAPS) using on your firearms? ie. Do you guys use tritium sights or something similiar as you often work night shifts?

And to what extend are you allowed to modify your pistols?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast