Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Buffalo horn grip caps

Good evening members
    A few photos of making buffalo grip caps:
    Step one:
    Draw a ellipse according to the desired shape and measurement on a piece of paper, paste on a thin piece of metal plate and cut out, use this as your template:

Step two:
    Cut out shape with band saw:

Sand along the lines of the profile, make sure the sanding work is done to a smooth surface for correct router work.
    Router out the required form :

A few examples I did today:

Default Re: Buffalo horn grip caps

Nice Next step?
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Nice! Did you remove the grip cap from the rifle you are making the new grip cap for, to use as a basis?

User

I will send you a trace of my pistol cap and forend if you volunteering for work :-)

User

Usually the dimensions of a grip cap on a custom build hunting rifle stock is standard, especially if you use a duplicator and decided on a specific profile/pattern.

Johan Greyling is keeping with a specific stock design since he is building .404 Jeffery rifles and 8x68S rifles on order. I do make two dimensions , a large and medium elliptic design I draw to fit the grip of the rifle stocks.

I am currently at stage one , making the grip caps, stage two will be polishing the grip caps and sand down to required thickness. However there will still be some finishing work be needed after the grip caps are secured to the rifle stock.

I still need to see the end result , that is why I want to build myself a .404 Jeffery rifle stock with a buffalo grip cap and fore end as in the examples shown in the pictures. The fore-end is going to be difficult since only a portion of the Buffalo horn at the ends have a solid and broad enough piece to fit as a fore-end of a rifle.

I still need to get a price for these caps. I will upload some photos of these caps when polished.

Thank you for the replies, it is appreciated .

User

Came across this thread again.
    Gert, how did they come out?
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

My Lani, it really looks excellent on the .375 H&H Magnum stock and on the 404 Jeffery stocks Johan Greyling build....it gives an excellent appearance when you have the rifle in your hands...I need to make a few more to keep in the Safe at the gunsmith shop....it really is nice to work with Buffalo horn....it works down smoothly with sharp router bits...I am trying to keep the hard boss surface as much as possible onto the surface when routing the oval ....

User

I have managed to get some Blackwood to try out.
    Not quite Buffalo horn, but one day.....

User

MyLani, when I get hold of buffalo horn , I will send you a piece to use as you like...it will be large enough to use as a rifle stock grip cap..I am expecting to get very soon a large piece of buffalo horn boss...I will let you know as soon as possible...my suggestion is that you make use of a trusted courier when I send it to you..SA posting services is not the way to go...

User

Awesome.
    Thank you.
    I appreciate the kind offer

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast