User

Default And powder is already expensive

Local consensus is, Somchem is ripping us off. But if you can sell your product for more internationally, it makes (short term, maybe?) business sense.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3134032/posts
    PB Clermont Evacuation And Clearing Underway. Ammunition Industry Remains Ominously Silent.

One week after an explosion at the world’s second largest small arms propellant factory leveled a building, Belgian authorities have evacuated an area 350 meters out from the edges of an “explosion exclusion perimeter.” A French hazardous materials recovery company is now on-site and has tackled the dangerous process of attempting to recover existing propellants and begin the clean-up and evacuation of materials.

PB Clermont SA provides small arms propellant (gunpowder) to most ammunition manufacturers in Europe and many in the United States. Last Friday at about 5:00 PM local time after most workers had gone home for the day, an explosion leveled a key building used to manufacture propellant used for rifle cartridges. Two employees were injured.

The cause of the explosion is still unknown.

Clean-up efforts began yesterday, after the necessary initial investigative work had been completed and the area was saturated with water to help prevent the possibility of a follow-on explosions. The recovery of explosive materials is expected to be completed today.

Sabine Huc, the communications manager at PB Clermont, said that 20 nearby homes were evacuated for the duration of the clean-up.

From a friend who sent this, from a firend: “I just returned from the IWA Show. The Clermont powder plant explosion was announced at the Show. This caused long faces as it will put a crimp in RUAG's production schedule (Norma, MFS, Swiss P and RWS/Geco). Others such as Fiocchi will also feel the crunch. GIAT also announced that the powder plant would be repaired and was estimated to be back in full production in 90 days. If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you. The same plant had another explosion last year. Every propellant plant in Europe is booked solid and propellants for reloading are non-existant.

RUAG advised they are running flat out on rimfire with much of it going to the US. Same with Fiocchi.

I see a listing in the latest Cheaper Than Dirt catalog showing Tulammo rimfire cartridges in cans marked "Made in Bosnia Hertzogovinia" Probably the result of Howell Machine's consulting.

I am consolidating my list of new ammo makers/loaders in the US and have reached 30!! At the IWA Show this expanded to 40!! Nothing like a hot market to draw more wanna-be's. Most will probably not make it once the market is satiated.

Mood at IWA was positive except for two developments: 1. the Clermont powder plant explosion, and 2. Putin's putting a hold (or stop) on European sporting ammunition being imported into Russia. RUAG had a $1 million order packed when the hold came. Russia has turned out to be the strongest and largest market for sporting arms and ammunition for many European manufacturers. That surprised me.”

User

Default Re: And powder is already expensive

For some reason I read this entire article in the narrator's voice from the opening scenes from the animation move "Up".

Somchem's feelings towards us:

User

@Moomin

Double f@cking lol

User

excellent

User

On the upside, that RUAG Russian ammo should be being unloaded soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Herne View Post
    On the upside, that RUAG Russian ammo should be being unloaded soon.
    You mean the RUAG ammo,meant for Russia.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

You guys get double-stuffed on automobiles, car tyres, gun prices and almost everything else except beef, lamb and pork...so why not powder too?
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by ikor View Post
    You guys get double-stuffed on automobiles, car tyres, gun prices and almost everything else except beef, lamb and pork...so why not powder too?
    That's nasty of you :)

Especially if you keep in mind that whenever we actually get stock of the ONLY powder available to us they've changed the burn rate

User

Just curious, if we can import ammo, why cant we import powder?

User

Default And powder is already expensive

Quote Originally Posted by FrankH View Post
    You mean the RUAG ammo,meant for Russia.
    Yes. If the Russians aren't taking it, Ruag'll want to sell it elsewhere