Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: INFORCE WMLx 500 lumen.

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    What is this "too much" you talk of?

The lights your light switch activate in the room are brighter.
    This http://monderno.com/monderno/the-lumen-debate/

Also have a look at the video from Haley Strategic included in the article.

I'm no expert but I think there are some valid points. Granted your point about the light switches in the room being brighter is another.

User

My experience is that the biggest reason for pushing lower lumen lights is that the person pushing them happens to sell lights with a lower output.

User

I figured the same thing. Thats why I'm getting this version as well, so I can see (excuse the pun) which one I like more.

User

Ikor has a lot more experience than most of us here actually searching structures for real bad guys in the dark. He will take all the lumens he can get. I believe in law enforcement they call that a clue :)

User

Here are some of my personal observations for what it's worth.

My experience with projecting a LED beam through a security gate to illuminate beyond the gate (without the light protruding through the gate) is that the more the output and /or the more dense/cluttered the security gate is the more reflection is projected back to the user resulting in seeing less beyond the security gate.

A very simple design security gate painted black will reflect less than a white gate. A more intricate and busy design white gate will give more reflection than a simple design white gate. Shining my 500 lumen light beam through a grey 3cm square mesh gate gives enough reflection back to the user to make me wonder if I should use a light at all. Imo ambient constant on security lights at a residence is extremely important for persec.

I have tried 200, 250 and 500 lumen lights indoors and although the 500 lumen light does not "blind" or bother me as the user at all, I can just as good identify people with with the 200 lumen light as with the 500 lumen light at practical SD distances indoors.

I also find that I can ID a person properly outdoors at practical handgun SD distances and out to around 40m with a 200 lumen light.

The effect on the eyesight of person being lit up with a 500 lumen light is greater (but not twice as much or 100% more) than with a 200 lumen light.

User

I find without my glasses I can see better with a 500 lumen than a 200 0r 250.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    ...The effect on the eyesight of person being lit up with a 500 lumen light is greater (but not twice as much or 100% more) than with a 200 lumen light.
    I didn't give this a single thought. Thank you, makes sense.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3