Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: traffic fines in post

He asked about the fine, Wismit. Not a summons.

It is a legal manner of serving those types of fines as they cannot take any further action which depends on proof of receipt. If, like the AARTO fines, or a summons, there are other repercussions, they will have to prove that you received it and therefore service by registered mail or sheriff or SAPS member is necessary.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

User

Why wait for a summons......if you wait for the summons and forget about the fine, you might get a hand delivery or have to run around sorting it out when you renew your lic......i have done this before, not fun.

If i know it was me, ie the right car, right place, right time, i just pay it when it arrives.....there is also nice online payment options.....so why wait and make it worse?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    No. A vehicle bearing a registration number similar to a registration number which may at one time have been registered to you is alleged to have broken the speed limit. This is an untested allegation. It is not at all prima facie evidence of anything at all.
    "SARCASM?"

SAS

User

Quote Originally Posted by sa-shooter View Post
    "SARCASM?"

SAS
    No, I would agree with Paul and say FACT. There have been times where the equipment, operator, etc have not been right and just paying because "The man" says so would be stupid in my opinion. Saying that I agree with Andycap, if you know it was you, at that time, at that place, etc etc. Just pay and dodge all the other hassles that come later.

User

Quote Originally Posted by sa-shooter View Post
    "SARCASM?"

SAS
    Not sarcastic or funny in any way if somebody is using your registration number illegally.

Had a CEO of a company using my vehicle's plates on her BMW X5. She racked up over 40 fines in 2 and half years before I got it sorted by eventually harassing the Western Cape Premier's office. In the end they cornered her at her offices she pleaded ignorance and got away with paying a lump sum with 30% discount.

You have the opportunity to plead/fight your case by either writing to the traffic office in question requesting all details or wait for the summons and plead your case before the magistrate but that will cost you a day and lots of extra fees if found guilty.

I got a fine for R1000 doing 80 in a 60 zone? red area as its close to a school.
    I drive this road everyday and the limit is 80. I took pictures of the boards and mailed them that the road is a double lane with shoulder and both ways boards showing 80. I was told to first pay the fine and would then be able to claim back as this is how it works with aarto.
    So I paid a 1000 bucks. I then tried to claim back the 1000 bucks.

They guy looked at the photos and said can you prove they were showing 80 on the day. I asked him if he can prove that it showed 60?

he laughed and said sorry boet you paid and admitted guilt even if they were wrong when setting up the camera

Needless to say they "stole" 1000 bucks and hours in cues from me. I will not pay if the system does not work.

User

Sorry guys. When i said "sarcasm" i meant it as a joke to Paul

And for the record i do also agree with Paul. I was refering to people that get fines knowing they were in the wrong and still wont pay the fine. That to me is very bad character. If you cannot own up to your actions you are a coward.

SAS

User

Quote Originally Posted by qscwbt View Post
    I got a fine for R1000 doing 80 in a 60 zone? red area as its close to a school.
    I drive this road everyday and the limit is 80. I took pictures of the boards and mailed them that the road is a double lane with shoulder and both ways boards showing 80. I was told to first pay the fine and would then be able to claim back as this is how it works with aarto.
    So I paid a 1000 bucks. I then tried to claim back the 1000 bucks.

They guy looked at the photos and said can you prove they were showing 80 on the day. I asked him if he can prove that it showed 60?

he laughed and said sorry boet you paid and admitted guilt even if they were wrong when setting up the camera

Needless to say they "stole" 1000 bucks and hours in cues from me. I will not pay if the system does not work.
    Though I am still young and have only had my drivers for 5 years, I have only gotten 2 fines. The first was a week after i got the license and the second was R1800 for doing 111 in a 60 zone. I paid the fine as I knew it was me and I did break the limit. However the limit on that road is 120 and they reduced it to 60 for road works. It was still my porogative to ignore the sign

User

My father-in-law recently received an Etoll bill for his BMW motorcycle, sold six months ago. Problem was that the photo is of a white BWM 3-series sedan.
    I have to agree with Paul on this one. If I get a fine by mail, they first have to prove it was my car which drove over the speed trap.
    I have also been involved in a speed trap which was set up where the serial numbers on the speed measuring equipment did not match the calibration certificate which must also be available on site if asked for it. I took photo's of the certificate and the camera. The same guys caught a Toyota Hilux double cab diesel bakkie going at 197Kph on the same trap, so I knew something was off. Cases were thrown out of court. Other guys who used my photos were a Honda S2000, Audi TT. All caught in the same trap. I supplied all with the photo's on a CD. All were thrown out of court.

Mistakes can happen and I will always contest a speed fine I simply receive in the mail, wherever possible.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast