Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: This is how I cook

Quote Originally Posted by oneshooter View Post
    "SA braai" "" braaing the tjoppies and wors" If you would please, in either English, or Texan.

"I got a flat bottomed pot / dutch oven" does it have 3 short legs and a raised rim top on it? If not then it is a stewpot that is used on a grating or stand over the fire.
    According to the pictures you are half way there; just replace those steroid chickens with some good quality red meat.

"braai" => south african BBQ, but no gas or weenies. Strictly wood fire with most of the cooking done over hot coals.

We prefer lamb (year old sheep), but definitely nothing wrong with one of those legendary steaks from Texas or some pork. Chicken is allowed for the women or as a "vegetarian" side dish.

We normally do it on a grid (known as the "rooster" not pronounced like or any relation to the male chicken), which can either be open in which case you need to turn the meat portions individually or closed clam shell with which you turn all the meat at wine.

"tjoppie" => chop usually lamb

"wors" or "boerewors" => uniquely south african non segmented sausage made for 90% beef and 10% pork fat ground/minced together heavily seasoned with cilantro, nutmeg, salt, pepper and other secret spices.

For festive get together we sometimes do a "spitbraai", precisely the way you roasting those turkeys but with whole lamb or REALLY big party whole young ox.

Usually while we wait for the wood to burn out for the coals we consume few beers, good wine, whisky on ice or cheap brandy mixed with Coke.

Here is an educational video:

User

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    I'm a traditionalist, but anything nice will do.

I guess i have a stew pot with a raised rim on the lid then.
    Raised rim is dutch oven, normal flat lid is stew pot (aka "platboom potjie")

User

A stew pot generally has a flat bottom, no legs, and a flat or domed lid. Been seing those with a flanged lid and no legs. You tend to burn the bottom of your food with them, and your coals die out rapidly due to lack of oxygen. The legs keep the bottom off of the coals and a good flow of oxygen to them. Remember that you only keep your food on the bottom heat for 1/3 the cooking time. Otherwise you will burn the bottom of your food. Finish the cooking with only the top heat.

User

Quote Originally Posted by HvR View Post
    potbrood while braaing the tjoppies and wors.
    You're making me hungry here.

User

Here we would call that grilling, generally done over charcoal.

Oneshooter

Here we would call that grilling, generally done over charcoal. Oneshooter
    Yup. Grilling it is, however American "barbecue" seems somewhat sterile when compared to a good SA braai. The Americans seem to have removed the soul of it and replaced it with convenience. It's not the same. There is finesse and timing involved, right down to the selection of what type of wood you use.

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    Yup. Grilling it is, however American "barbecue" seems somewhat sterile when compared to a good SA braai. The Americans seem to have removed the soul of it and replaced it with convenience. It's not the same. There is finesse and timing involved, right down to the selection of what type of wood you use.
    No greater art than delivering the required BBQ'd meat, cooked to a turn while still sober.
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

User

A stew pot generally has a flat bottom, no legs, and a flat or domed lid. Been seing those with a flanged lid and no legs. You tend to burn the bottom of your food with them, and your coals die out rapidly due to lack of oxygen. The legs keep the bottom off of the coals and a good flow of oxygen to them. Remember that you only keep your food on the bottom heat for 1/3 the cooking time. Otherwise you will burn the bottom of your food. Finish the cooking with only the top heat.
    Haven't seen the ones with short stubby legs here, I either put mine oo my grid or use a tripod.

User

Must...resist...jokes...about...Dutch...Oven...

User

Now you have confused me. I specifically got a pot with a raised rim on the lid. I have never seen a flat bottomed pot with short legs here. So do i have a stew pot with a rimmed lid, a dutch oven or a hybrid between the two South African style?

I think i need a tripod.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast