Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Fitting a safe horizontally

Hi all
    I'll be needing to put in a new long-gun safe some time this year (I hope :) ) and because space is tight, I'm thinking of putting a 3-gun safe horizontal with the door facing up (the back to the floor). Have any of you ever done something similar?

User

Default Re: Fitting a safe horizontally

If you do so, just make sure the locking mechanism isn't affected.
    I wouldn't like to try that with my safe - the door weighs a metric crapton and would smash anything to smithereens if it were to drop while I tried to keep it open.

I agree with Frizzle - just lie your safe down and play with the door for a while. Also note how much like a steel cutting guillotine the door to body opening, appears.

BTW, If the door is light, I would not put firearms into it, regardless of the orientation.

I have seen a Karoo farmer with a safe mounted on its side on the loadbed of his vehicle (i.e. the door can only drop open) - while not a great option, it is better than leaving "spare" hunting rifles locked in the bakkie's cab.

It would work if you fitted some gas lifters to the door of the safe. Then it would open pretty easily. You would need to experiment a little but you should be able to get some boot lid lifters from a spares shop that would do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by L~C~G View Post
    It would work if you fitted some gas lifters to the door of the safe. Then it would open pretty easily. You would need to experiment a little but you should be able to get some boot lid lifters from a spares shop that would do the job.

Clever idea!

Would make it a lot safer too!

User

Friend of mine has a long gun safe fitted to the floor, flat on it's back. Almost lost a finger a few times when the door fell shut. Other that that no mechanical issues with the lock or door. The gas lifters is a great idea. Will let him know of it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by L~C~G View Post
    Nice idea, I'll have a look at the dimensions and see if I can make it work. Thanks

Otherwise an East rand solution to the same problem a piece of wood with a V cut in the bottom that fits onto the edge and into the safe body? As suggested above of you are going to mount it to a wall and the floor consider placing it so that it is on it's side so when you open it the door lays flat on the floor. what you looking to store in it? If rifles move the wooden rifle holder to the side wall. If an ammo safe no issues.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Goblin View Post
    consider placing it so that it is on it's side so when you open it the door lays flat on the floor.
    Just keep track of the safekeys, as you might just bend/break the key if the weight of the door presses at an angle.....

User

There are various options. An aquaintance has his 2 rifle safe mounted horizontally to the wall, high in a cupboard, with the opening on the front side. The door opens downward. Sturdy stoppers limit the travel and prevent pinching. This position is well concealed.

Be carefull not to build a guilotine! Also check if your safe is equipped with an anti-tampering device. Some might not work in a horizontal orientation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast