Default Springbok in the freezer

I have just finished packaging the three springbok that I acquired in the eastern cape two days ago and now I have 30 kg of springbok meat in the freezer :D.

How do you use the ribs? I have cut off most of the meat on the outside of the ribs for droewors, but I was wondering how else the ribs are used...

User

Default Re: Springbok in the freezer

If you removed most of the meat on the ribs the rest can be cooked of for pie filling.

User

I always cut up all the bones and cook them to get the last bits of meat and marrow. I use that meat to make cornish type pies, which I keep in the freezer for when ever. Last weekend I took last of my pie meat out of the freezer and added vege, pepper and mixed herbs, and rolled and folded 90 cornish type pies. That meat was from the bones of two swartwildebees cows. A lot of work, but very rewarding. A quick easy meal when you are to busy or lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by robmag View Post
    I always cut up all the bones and cook them to get the last bits of meat and marrow. I use that meat to make cornish type pies, which I keep in the freezer for when ever. Last weekend I took last of my pie meat out of the freezer and added vege, pepper and mixed herbs, and rolled and folded 90 cornish type pies. That meat was from the bones of two swartwildebees cows. A lot of work, but very rewarding. A quick easy meal when you are to busy or lazy.
    Brilliant idea. What pastry do you use/make?

User

Quote Originally Posted by jockf View Post
    Brilliant idea. What pastry do you use/make?
    I know this is very lazy, but the rolls of frozen pastry at supermarkets works like a bomb.

User

When i get some springbok, i get all the meat chopped and boiled off, then freeze it all in about 1inch thick blocks. When i want some meat, i just put some oil and garlic in a pot and add a chunk of meat and heat it up.

Never really bothered with pastry etc, just eat it like that, or make some sarmies.....very yummy.

User

@jockf the pastry recipe I use is simple
    1kg flour--2 teaspoons baking powder--500g marge or butter--1 teaspoon salt--1/2 cup Amasi thick milk. To the flour add salt and baking powder. Cut the marge into cubes and add to flour and rub until the marge and flour are mixed, looks like flakes. Add now 1/2 cup Amasi thick milk and mix with your hands until all mixed. Tear a piece dough off and roll out until 3 mm thick. I have plate which cut round for my cornish pies. The pies after folding are frozen. When needed pre heat oven 200c and pop the frozen pies in the oven and pastry cooks until brown. The pastry bakes firm with out getting hard, making it ideal for work next day or fishing and so on.
    @Andycap I am going to freeze some meat like that this year, great idea that.

Hi Jockf, If you live in a cool dry place, prepare and season the ribs as is with your biltong and hang-em-up. Nice thin biltong to carve from the bones in three to six days ...

Quote Originally Posted by robmag View Post
    @jockf the pastry recipe I use is simple
    1kg flour--2 teaspoons baking powder--500g marge or butter--1 teaspoon salt--1/2 cup Amasi thick milk. To the flour add salt and baking powder. Cut the marge into cubes and add to flour and rub until the marge and flour are mixed, looks like flakes. Add now 1/2 cup Amasi thick milk and mix with your hands until all mixed. Tear a piece dough off and roll out until 3 mm thick. I have plate which cut round for my cornish pies. The pies after folding are frozen. When needed pre heat oven 200c and pop the frozen pies in the oven and pastry cooks until brown. The pastry bakes firm with out getting hard, making it ideal for work next day or fishing and so on.
    @Andycap I am going to freeze some meat like that this year, great idea that.
    Sounds good. Will give it a go...

Quote Originally Posted by 93x62 View Post
    Hi Jockf, If you live in a cool dry place, prepare and season the ribs as is with your biltong and hang-em-up. Nice thin biltong to carve from the bones in three to six days ...
    Will try that...