User

Default Dumbest (non-lethal) huting rifle & telescope mistake eve? I think I'm a contender...

So yesterday I go to Atlantis (which is becoming waay too crowded nowadays) to play with the new 243 Howa. The last session while breaking in the barrel went really nicely, so I was just looking forward to getting some more range time under the belt and dialing in my Nikon Monarch 5-20x44 a bit further.

After a few foulers I started shooting groups. After I was satisfied I wanted to adjust scope for a 2" high impact @ 100m to slowly get myself ready for June's hunt.

Since I was hitting 2" to the right and at height of point of aim it was a simple adjustment: 16 clicks "L" and 16 clicks "U" (Remember it is 8 clicks to 1 inch on these scopes).

Then I shot again. To my amazement the shots were further to the right and lower than before. I then recalculated and doubled my clicks. The deviance to the right and low was more than double than before! And then when I adjusted some more I almost missed the targed on the lower right-hand corner - this after starting on one of the left-hand blocks on the target.

After some cursing I decided to pack up as the range was working on my nerves - too many people and time wasting with people running to go and place targets after everyone is already waiting, waiting, waiting to resume shooting.

Anyway, on my way home I start thinking what could be wrong. I knew that I was careful to adjust like the ballistic turrets indicated. There must be some other solution... Then I got a funny feeling.

Last week, after cleaning the rifle, I played around with the different turrets that came with scope. It has the normal, low-profile turrets, the target type high-profile turrets and the oversized high-profile turrets.

I remember finally settling for the high-profile target knobs, even if it's just for sighting as changing to the low-profile ones before hunting won't affect point of aim at all.

When I got home I took the rifle out of its case and started laughing (after the obligatory cursing). I had stupidly put the elevation turret on the side (where you adjust windage) and the windage turret on top (where you adjust elevation)!

So "Left" became "Down" and "Up" became "Right".

I feel like a big idiot. I cannot believe I did it. So whenever you do something stupid in future, remember that someone like me has probably outdone you.

I hope you feel better now.

User

Default Re: Dumbest (non-lethal) huting rifle & telescope mistake eve? I think I'm a contende

Ever mount your scope backwards. ... a few of us may have

Default Re: Dumbest (non-lethal) huting rifle & telescope mistake eve? I think I'm a contende

I replaced my Hornet's scope yesterday. Very, very nearly did the same thing.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

This really was not me.A friend of mine bought a Leopold scope plus some high and low scope mounts.He wanted to try out both mounts to see which one he liked better.Who can guess what happened next.Yes that's right he mismatched the scope mounts one high mount one low mount.End result one bent scope tube before he had even fired a shot.

User

Oh, and I once fired a 270 round in my 30-06.

Jeez I know I'm probably starting to sound like an absent-minded dufus, but that was a very easy mistake to make.

Like so:

For years I only owned a 270. I got a packet of some really old Sako 270 ammo from a colleague that I used for foulers. I always left some of them in my gun vice/cleaning stand to sommer grab one when starting to shoot at the range.

Then I bought the 30-06 two years ago. Off to the range I go to do some shooting. Next thing I put in a 270 round in the 30-06. pull the trigger, it goes bang and I look through the scope.

#HolyMaryMotherOfGod. I almost missed the target completely. Shot about 8 inches off point of aim. WTF? What is wrong with this 30-06 piece of shit? Or is my scope toast?

Open bolt, case is ejected and, as always, I take case and put it away. Then I do a double take and discover a perfectly fireformed 30-06 case with Sako 270 Win stamped on it.

All I want to add that life is easy if you own one rifle or two with hugely differing calibres, like say, 243 and 375 H&H. But when you own multiple rifles in calibers that are not that far off mistakes can bite you. So take care.

I do not want to see what happens when someone fires a 308 Win in a 270 Win - or, god forbid, a 25-06. They will chamber alright. And go "Bang!" too. But the carnage will be Hall of Fame stuff.

User

That has already happened a few years ago in Namibia (IIRC). Hunter had problems with his 308, borrowed farmer's 25-06. Forgot about 308 round in pocket and loaded without thinking/looking. He blew up the rifle and nearly his face as well.