Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    There's not a single party that represents everything I believe in. I don't vote for, I vote against.
    That pretty much sums it up.

User

Default Re: So you want to vote DA?

Democracy is not a solution to society's problems, it's society's best solution for its political problems. You think your vote doesn't matter? Sure way to learn you are wrong is to allow for a political monopoly to manifest.

User

I haven't looked into it in a couple of years, but the ACDP used to have fairly open views on firearms. Has that changed?

KBK

I've just spent 10 days in Cape Town ( just got back tonight) and the surrounding area.

Last time I was there was 12 years ago , I can say I was impressed. It's night and day compared to Jbg or any of the town/ city's in Limpopo or mpumalanga that I've visited.

Things just work , the cleanliness was also an eye opener.

Say what you want about the DA , but they have shown that they can run government.

They don't have have all the answers, and have of late really managed to piss me off, but they are still the best alternative.

The problem with the smaller parties is that in SA, they are in reality so small that they are all but inconsequential in the real world , and really have not managed to achieve much despite what anyone says.

The latest poll bears testament to this with most of them loosing ground
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by Boomstomp View Post
    Politics is strange in SA... the majority vote for what parties did/were like 25 years ago, and nobody seems to have any patience for the opposition. Its mostly a "for-us-or-completely-our-enemy" type of mindset. If the DA does not win outright in GP, then a coalition might not be such a bad idea. It depends on what the terms of the coalition is, and where they compromise. For a compromise will be needed by all concerned. After WW2 the German voting system was changed so that it is almost impossible for any party to win outright, forcing parties to always rule in coalitions. This forces them to take matters of minority parties into account, and does sometimes result in better policies/ruling. Dialogue between parties also seems to help them, as it keeps new ideas in circulation and the majority party on their toes. If a compromise to rule as a coalition gets the DA a few key portfolios which they can then sort out, is that not better than refusing to negotiate anything and watch from the sidelines as maladministration continues? Ignoring anything else regarding the DA, at least they have a track record of solid governance. And have mostly been open to engagement before making sweeping changes. I have not yet decided who gets my vote, but practical realities should be considered. Core policies will be important, but if a party chooses to ignore practical ways of moving SA forward then I have no time for them. Our country currently needs all the help it can get.
    What he said.

User

My 2c...

The ANC has some good policies and some bad policies, but what the ANC is really good at is poor execution of all policies. Examples: Education, security, BEE, health...well everything really, except the gravy train and SARS, that's working perfectly.

I don't like the DA, but I'll vote for them. I may not like a lot of their policies, but the country sure as hell needs an expansion of their good administration. I think right now, it's more important that all kids in SA get a proper education, whether they live in rural Limpopo or Pretoria East. The education of the masses is now more important than ever. The DA will be able to deliver this.

If your vote goes to smaller parties, you will still be bitching and moaning about the ANC for a good number of years.

If you vote for the DA and continue doing so as long as they are the opposition, you might be able to bitch and moan about the DA in your lifetime, but you will be living in a better SA while doing it.

PS We need to start voting for what the country needs and not what we want. The FF+ will protect out rights to own firearms, but the country does not need a majority white, Afrikaans speaking party. You may feel better about yourself if you vote for them, but you aint going to change anything....

User

I don't believe the DA will be able to bring change, not in my lifetime: reversing 20 years of backwards governance and, more difficult, reversing 20 years of entitlement-syndrome, lack of education, and lack of values...I just don't see it happening. There is a whole generation of lost souls who have nothing to contribute, no where to go...sad. I go to the polls to try and stem the tide, to prevent the ANC from doing what they want, and since 1994 nobody has succeeded in doing this. So go to the polls 7 May and vote, whoever for, but vote. I cannot vote for any party who doesn't represent my personal values, or at least a majority of my values, with a clear conscience, regardless of how much spin they put on it. The DA has not reached out to the farming community, except to the workers. They have no clear BEE/AA policy. They are obviously pro-land reform. Sure they govern OK in the Cape, and the only reason it looks OK is because you don't live here: believe me, Pretoria ain't that bad in comparison. And that's ANC territory. Saying that the DA does a good job in the WP is like being surprised that Affies' First Team whitewashes the blind school in Rugby. Anyone will look great when compared to the ANC, even Helen Lizzard's party.

Regarding the needs of the country: I am also a part of the country. In fact, I am part of the microscopically small tax base that keeps the whole show running. It would be nice if a big party would bother making me a priority, but that's not the case. If the DA goes into a coalition with the EFF, how will that move be defended? I guess it doesn't really matter.
    Last edited by Gunservant; 21-04-2014 at 09:15.

R.I.P. Feb 2015

As I understand it Zille is the driving force behind the DA. My biggest worry is what happens when she is not there anymore. Will the DA still be better or will it just end up as another gravy train ANC?

Manservant, not to be funny, but you obviously have not read the DA policy's on land reform or on AA. Please do so.

I personally don't like either, but they are way different to the anc. We can't always have it our way and so need a compromise that will actually work.

BTW you might be surprised at just how many farmers support the DA.

User

Quote Originally Posted by FrankH View Post
    Manservant, not to be funny, but you obviously have not read the DA policy's on land reform or on AA. Please do so.

I personally don't like either, but they are way different to the anc. We can't always have it our way and so need a compromise that will actually work.

BTW you might be surprised at just how many farmers support the DA.
    I will take your advice and go read up on it Frank.

It is true that no topics are more polarizing than politics and religion...and sometimes guns :)

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast