User

Default Reservist opportunities

I'm in the process of trying to plan my life for when my contract over here expires and I come home in a few years. Setting goals and figuring my options out and I am considering volunteering as a reservist. This will begin while I return to university to study further and thanks to that I will be fairly flexible in terms of time I can dedicate to the job. I'm currently serving in the British Army in an elite role, so obviously I would like to progress into the more hands on opportunities that being a reservist offers. Just to make it clear, I don't want to join for rank, power or prestige and obviously remuneration isn't a concern, I want to make a meaningful and valuable contribution that uses my skill, experience and free time to the greatest benefit and effect.

Sitting in a charge office all night for my entire career will break me, but working with highly motivated and well trained members of the SAPS(ie dog squad, air units or flying squad are available to a reservist as far as I've heard?) is something that has always appealed to me and I feel that, with my experience, ability and motivation that this would be where I could make the greatest contribution to my community. I can deal with being stuffed around as a newbie before I earn my place, I've done that over here and don't have a problem doing it again - I don't expect to walk into the flying squad type roles I wan't to earn it but how realistic would it be that I get such an opportunity to work on that level at some point?

Thanks in advance!

User

Default Re: Reservist opportunities

Today - unrealistic. Until the new National instruction is signed no new reservist recruitment is happening. Presently reservists are not even welcome at these units due to SAPS politics.

That said, there's been frequent rumors that reservist recruitment will resume soon, so if you have the calling you should join and experience it for yourself. You are unlikely to be allowed to join a specialized unit until you have at least two years under your belt at station level so either way you have to do the time and form your own opinion - by then things may change for the better. The time you spend at the charge office is minimal - usually your first month after finishing the training course. Just enough so you can come to grips with the paperwork which is part of daily SAPS life.

I think there's plenty of good work that can be done at station level, but keep in mind the system is mostly dysfunctional so perseverance and resourcefulness are paramount if you want to be effective.

Some stations treat their reservists better than others - you will have to "shop around", but from my experience every station has a few fish who are willing to swim against the current (permanent and reservists) so you shouldn't feel all alone.
    Last edited by Todor; 24-04-2014 at 02:17.

User

Thanks for the reply Todor!

Lets just hope this new NI is signed before I get home then! I have no problem with waiting two years before I get such an opportunity, there will be a lot to learn about the nuances of police work that I know won't come overnight!

I relish the challenge though of having to be resourceful and finding those like minded officers to work with who really do want to make a difference.

User