Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Cool Training vs Sport shooting (IDPA)

Hi guys,

Hope you had a great time at Huntex.

I have searched the forum, but cant seem to find a comparison.

I need a few opinions here. I am struggling to decide which is "better" better in the case of training.

What will be best:

Proper training from someone like BigT or joining a club like IDPA. Can only chose 1. Due to costs.

Which in you opinion will be best to get that something extra? I am one of those who went through the entire process to get a HD and unfortunately have not gone the extra mile to get training. Which I believe is absolutely important...

Please any advice/opinions will be appreciated...

User

Default Re: Training vs Sport shooting (IDPA)

Proper training every time for me.
    I shoot IDPA, but I still have a personal policy of doing formal training every 6 months.

User

IDPA is not training. It's a sport.

You will learn lots more from a decent trainer like BigT in a day that you will shooting matches.

If you get training first your matches will go better / safer as well.

User

Sport shooting will improve your gun handling and shooting skill dramatically but it is still far removed from realistic training. Best bet is to do as much of both as you can afford. If your budget is limted then spend on training first.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

I am in no position to advise as I am in the same boat as you.
    I have asked myself the same question and have decided that proper handgun/SD training is the first step. This will ensure you are capable of handling yourself and your firearm in a life-threatening situation.
    Joining a club and stepping into the sport will hone that knowlege gained in training and be a means to put some of it into practice. It will also teach skills that will complement your SD training. Joining the sport will mean a continued financial investment, something to consider only when you have the finances, or else you won't pitch for your shoots etc.
    [ I welcome and encourage correction from anyone on my opinion here]

User

Thanks for the replies so far... seems like I will go for training rather...

I am at the moment (might sound dangerous) more scared/paranoid/nervous carrying everyday, with not knowing proper tactics. Scared in a manner that I "possibly" can harm a innocent bystander when shooting at the threat. If that makes any sense... hahah!

But training seems to be the way to go...

Another question, will by wife be able to shoot with my weapon when we go for training. She does not have a weapon at the moment.

User

Don't think T will allow you to share, but if you ask him really nicely, he will let you use one of his pistols.

Sean Murphy's post is full of awesome. Look at doing IDPA in the future, you will become more proficient at handling your weapon and definitely more confident using it. I started with T before shooting IDPA

*edited to add

BigT won't teach you "tactics", he'll teach you how to use your weapon properly

User

Quote Originally Posted by zhattingh View Post
    Thanks for the replies so far... seems like I will go for training rather...

I am at the moment (might sound dangerous) more scared/paranoid/nervous carrying everyday, with not knowing proper tactics. Scared in a manner that I "possibly" can harm a innocent bystander when shooting at the threat. If that makes any sense... hahah!

But training seems to be the way to go...

Another question, will by wife be able to shoot with my weapon when we go for training. She does not have a weapon at the moment.
    Big T is doing a level 1 on the 10th of May. If you are within 300km of JHB I recommend you attend:
    http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/showthread.php?t=47064

User

She can use your weapon under your supervision.

+1 on the training. That's priority number 1 by a wide margin, everything else is just secondary :)

Mmmmmmm, I am going to be different ... In my opinion it is more important to become familiar with your weapon and learn to handle it properly under stress and then go for tactical training. I would therefore first join any decent sport shooting club and learn to handle my weapon safely under a diversity of circumstances. When I have that under control, I will do tactical training.

Far easyer to focus on the correct tactics if your weapons handling comes as second nature ... but that is just my opinion ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast