Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    User

Default Re: Section 21 Application Info

Quote Originally Posted by kingy View Post
    I applied for a section 21, for my m&p 15-22, I don't have competency yet, (have applied for it) but was told by everyone we don't need it to apply. So monday I phoned to find out how much longer, and was told it wont be approved with out competency. Then phoned and emailed the lady working with the Western Cape licenses very friendly, but she then send me this email....

"The Section 21 was originally intended for foreigners who need a firearm in our country for whatever purposes for a limited period. As a foreigner you cannot obtain a competency certificate, therefore they will not need to have a competency certificate.

In short it has come to our attention that many South Africans are abusing this option. If you need a more detailed response I will have to refer your enquiry to our legal department."
    There are no requirements in the act re a competency iro s21, but on the form you need to provide details of prior experience. Including proficiency certificates will be useful as proof.

I have no doubt the s21 process is being "abused" but why? Simple, the normal process was designed to take as long as possible and to be a deterrent to potential FA owners ...GFSA stated that a number of times. So, what do they expect? Make the normal process quick/slick and there will be no problem.

User

Went to my local DFO/police station today with my section 21 app, as he goes through the application he says to me there is a few pages missing. So I tell him this is a section 21 application. He looks at me like he doesn't understand. Then he says that they don't do temporary licenses, and that it isn't even faster because it goes through the same proses as normal apps. Well done - SA's finest in action!

It also took some convincing from my side to get my dfo to accept my section 21. First he told me that it is meant for forighners. So i told him that i need the firearm to part take in 3gun competition, normal app will take to long, the purpose of section 21 is for these reasons, so i can get the fa sooner as i might miss a competition date waiting for the section16 app. So my dfo ask me why dont i just use the fa, as i already got a storing permit for it. I tell him that i cant buy ammo for the fa without a licence. He tells me that i must ask the license holder of the fa, from which i bought it, to buy me ammo. I ask him what will happen if the sap stop me with fa in my car without a licence,.. He then phones his supperiors for advice.... After few phone calls he accept my section 21 app. He tells me that he learned something new today, as he never dealt with a temporary authorization app before. He is however convinced that section 21 gets approved at provinsial and not at cfr. He told me this after i requested that i courier the app to cfr.
    My dfo is very helpfull, he tries, but does not have the knowledge to do his job properly. He told me that everything he knows he learned in a 1.5 hour workshop. No proper training. No wonder these guys dont know what is happening...

Does anyone have the phone number for the department that deals with the section 21 apps?

User

Search the site. It is in a S21 thread somewhere.

User

012 353 6314/40

Thank you kingy.

User

Good day Guys

So, I am in the market to buy another firearm, calibre of choice is the .308

Now I have made contact with one of these companies that compiles the motivation on your behalf, and I specifically asked him about the Section 21 temporary license, his response was that in order to get the temp lic. you will have to prove booking dates etc. and that it is only valid for that period, which after you will have to hand back the firearm until your actual license have been approved?

I was under the impression that a temp lic would be valid for a year?

Well, I already have a few other guns, so there is no particular reason why I need the firearm in the next week or 2, other than because I want to hold it and go play at the range rather sooner than later.

Any advice?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Abel-Konstabel View Post
    Good day Guys

So, I am in the market to buy another firearm, calibre of choice is the .308

Now I have made contact with one of these companies that compiles the motivation on your behalf, and I specifically asked him about the Section 21 temporary license, his response was that in order to get the temp lic. you will have to prove booking dates etc. and that it is only valid for that period, which after you will have to hand back the firearm until your actual license have been approved?

I was under the impression that a temp lic would be valid for a year?

Well, I already have a few other guns, so there is no particular reason why I need the firearm in the next week or 2, other than because I want to hold it and go play at the range rather sooner than later.

Any advice?
    Normally the S21s are valid for 12 months. You would normally do your normal and S21 license applications at the same time. That way, your normal license should be approved before the S21 expires...hopefully. If you don't have the urgency for a S21 then you don't apply for it. Some applicants make up BS stories to get the license faster and unfortunately it is a direct result of license applications taking so long...you can thank GFSA for that. However, the S21 process should not be abused if you can help it as it may have an impact on guys having a legitimate reason to apply for a S21. It also seems as if they’re scrutinising S21s more closely these days, so you will need to motivate the urgency properly.
    Of course, the flip side is also true, being that if we had an efficient process and system there would be no need to abuse any process.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6