User

Default Hardox 600 IDPA targets

Hi guys, I can have some targets made up at work. Proper full sized versions. It is hardox 600.
    The question I have though is, how thick do they need to be? I can get the plate up to 16mm thick. Will this be enough?

It will be for myself to practice on with the G17, so only 9mmP will get shot at it. How ever up to what caliber's will the steel handle?

I was thinking 3 torso targets and 5 poppers, I get the steel at R1,35per kilogram so wont be to expensive. Labour going to be R120 per hour. Wont take to long to get cut though.

Any guess on how heavy these will be?

Thanks

User

Default Re: Hardox 600 IDPA targets

For pistol only 8mm thick should be plenty in Hardox 600. For R1.35 / kg take all you can get!

Yes take it. Just know hardox is a high carbon steel and might be brittle. I used to work with armox and I think the hardox will also be heavy. But I assume you work with it...

User

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. I don't work on it myself (Instrument tech) but it is one of the perks from work. We use plenty of it in the cement mining industry. Any "private" jobs cost R170 p/h (Turning, milling, sheetmetal what ever we can do. Any metal off-cuts R1.35 p/kg. It used to be cheaper, but still a bargain. I will try get as much as possible.

Just one more question. Would it be able to withstand a 308 at 100m? and if it does, up to what caliber rifle would it handle?

If you do go 16mm I think I could handle a 338lm at 100m

User

Thanks Pistolboy, will go that route then. Need to look into the future and prices will increase.