Default Ruger M77- Is accuracy an issue?

I have recently read and heard comments regarding the accuracy of Ruger M77 rifles. Having spent many hunt's using a .270 M77 I have always considered them to be extremely accurate rifles (occasionally up to 250m+). A good friend has a .30-06 M77 and concurs that although they are smaller/lighter rifles their accuracy is not an issue. From what I have read this relates to Ruger using various barrel manufacturers in their earlier models.

Can anybody shed light on personal experience with Ruger's in general and more specifically the M77 models?

User

Default Re: Ruger M77- Is accuracy an issue?

I have used a ruger M77 in 308 since 1998. It is my "go to" rifle.
    I use it for culling as well, and it is more than acceptable accuracy even for the longer head shots
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Amos.

I own to Rugers, one M77Mark2 and a Ruger Hawkeye African edition and have never had accuracy issues. The only issue I had on the M77 was a horrible trigger which after a bit of gunsmith work now shoots really well. They are no nonsense, no frills, accurate and reliable working rifles.

User

The story that you allude to about the barrels being outsourced (I believe to Mexico) is true. The situation got so bad that they took production back in house, but the rifle's brand (M77 Mark II) was tarnished and hence they rebranded it the Hawkeye ... If you have a Hawkeye, then your rifle was made after production was in-sourced again (i.e. Made by Ruger themselves) ...

if you've got an accurate Mark II consider yourself lucky ... A good friend of mine had one that grouped 12" at 100m .... It's fixed now, and easy shoots under and inch, but it did take a lot of work and therefore money.

Lovely rifles though!!!

User

Much has been said about the Ruger Number 1 rifle's accuracy. Apparently some shoot accurately, and some don't. Maybe 2 different barrel suppliers. And I still want one.

On the M77, in all variants, the ones with accuracy issues, are mostly the plastic-stocked ones. And the plastic can be difficult to glass or epoxy bed. But the accuracy problem is not common, and can be cured by replacing or fixing the stock. The problem is definitely not more common, than in other makes with moulded plastic stocks.

Thank you guys. Very helpful indeed and I must say in my personal experience they are great, and most importantly, really accurate rifles.

User

Quote Originally Posted by AmosSuperGent View Post
    Thank you guys. Very helpful indeed and I must say in my personal experience they are great, and most importantly, really accurate rifles.
    I have the Ruger m77 Hawkeye in 30-06 and it shoots sub MOA all day long,it is my "go to" rifle and has never let me down

User

Im very interested in getting a M77 Hawkeye Varmint in 6.5 Creedmoor