Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 8x57 JS Mauser

User

Default Re: 8x57 JS Mauser

Quote Originally Posted by DesMorgan View Post
    Gery and Dale. I need help please. I received some impalabullets namely the 150, 165gr and 200gr. I received totally different bullet lengths and data and stuffed it up on 3 rounds that wont chamber. Also only received one powder weight per point namely 44 he for 150 and 40 for the 200gr. My number is 0614262357. Would appreciate any help.
    Des, good to hear from you. I am not using Impala bullets anymore. I currently using Stewart`s core bonded bullets I purchase from Hansie Minnaar, these bullets are great to use. I will probably use the Stewart`s core bullets in all my rifles since I know Hansie Minnaar and he is a friend as well , we do hunts together like the black powder hunt every year. If you need contact details let me know. Sorry I can not give you advice regarding the Impala bullets. I need to point out that Kobus Du Plessis gives great service and he will always be available to give you technical support in regards to reloading Impala bullets as well...contact him , on the Impala web page all contact details are available...

Quote Originally Posted by Gert Odendaal View Post
    Des, good to hear from you. I am not using Impala bullets anymore. I currently using Stewart`s core bonded bullets I purchase from Hansie Minnaar, these bullets are great to use. I will probably use the Stewart`s core bullets in all my rifles since I know Hansie Minnaar and he is a friend as well , we do hunts together like the black powder hunt every year. If you need contact details let me know. Sorry I can not give you advice regarding the Impala bullets. I need to point out that Kobus Du Plessis gives great service and he will always be available to give you technical support in regards to reloading Impala bullets as well...contact him , on the Impala web page all contact details are available...
    Dankie Gery. I will definitely look at Hansie's bullets. Thanks and regards. I used Dales specs on the 150gr at 820mm length and it worked. Will call Kobus in the morning

User

The 8mm calibre is great but unfortunately not well known here.
    In fact i always find surprising that the 7mm Rem Mag did so well and the 8 mm Rem Mag so badly as the 8mm Rem is head and shoulders a better cartridge for most of our applications (just as the .338WM outshines the 300WM). But I digress.
    People I know who have used the 8 x 57 (mostly in the bush) say that it is much harder hitting than a 30-06, but they tend to use heavy bullets (200-220gr). Personally, I would love to own one and can easily see myself using it as my "go to" bush rifle; however they are not easy to find.
    As to long range applications, I'm not sure; however most bush/average rifles can be converted into good long range weapons by switching to either pure copper bullets (eg Barnes) or "hybrid" bullets (like the Nosler partition) and going down a step or two in bullet weight.

User

Dagaboy, you are correct , the 8x57 JS Mauser I use to hunt with has a 1:9.45 rifling twist. It shoot the 180-220 gn core bonded bullets very accurately. It hit extremely hard when hunting bush veld game like impala, warthog , blue wildebees and kudu. I am taking it to hunt this week , will be hunting Impala rams. Hunted Impala lats season as well and it really hit the Impala like a train, the Impala fell like a ton of bricks, as well as the Black Wildebees bull and cow Ruan my son shot. The 8X57JS rife is a hard hitting caliber in bush veld conditions and will kill any game up to Eland . But as pointed out , always use Premium bullets when hunting..I am using Stewart`s core bonded bullets , I still need to retrieve a Stewart core bonded bullet since every time these bullets went right through ..this time I want to shoot a Impala ram from the front to be able to retrieve the Stewart`s core bonded bullet...
    In my 404 Jeffery I am usin 400 gn Stewart`s core bonded bullets...I want to hunt blue wildebees and Impala this coming week...

User

Some aspects I noticed while hunting with the 404 Jeffery using 400 gn Stewart Core bonded bullets at 2100f/s.Meat damage/bone damage was excessive this year using this combination..

My idea of using a heavy bullet at slow velocities did not yield the results I was hoping for...as pointed out it still causes a lot of bone/meat damage.

I did discuss this with numerous hunters who really had much more hunting experience than me.

This is the solution:
    I will be using 450 gn Dzombo solid bullets at 2100 f/s on next years hunt..I am sure I will get the results I needed..minimum meat/bone damage.....I will be hunting blue wildebees as well as Impala and warthog

I am inviting any member to please give me your opinion in regards to my solution to ensure minimum meat/bone damage.????

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Gert if you got bone there will be lots of damage, irrespective of bullet type. Try shoot just behind the shoulder, through the ribs into the plumbing and lungs, and you will have the results you are looking for.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

User

Corditecrazy, I agree , but this year was difficult hunting...most of the hunting took place in dense sekel bos /bush with little sunlight..this cause me to experience difficult clear view of the game through the Leopold VX 3 1.5-5 x 20 ...it was difficult to do precise shot placement ...I am looking at a scope with more light gathering properties that can stand recoil as well...there is not a large window for error on correct shot placement in those conditions...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3