Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: .308 semi auto - which one to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by pbuitendag View Post
    So in short, you would happily pay the extra R6000 for the Gen 2 instead of the Gen 1 Khumba?
    If the budget allows for it definitely yes.

I have a PWS with niggles. I won't however comment further until PWS reply to my email. I've only emailed them twice though, maybe 3 is a lucky number after all. I'll give them until the end of this month.

I handled and taken pics of both gen DPMS rifles and posted them on the forum for people to compare. I really like the Gen 2 rifles and if funds allow, will get one. I like the SASS, but the Recon is a better all round rifle I'd say.

My experience with the PWS has been that it is very accurate even out to 500m I hope to take it out further when my new optics arrive. Currently I only have a 3x30 acog on the rifle. The only negative experience I have had has been an issue with Chicom 762x51 with this ammo the rifle fails to extract say every 20th round. Ive found that unlike a FAL that will eat anything this rifle is very picky about what it likes. Ive run just over 1000 rounds of Porto 762x51 surplus without a failure of any kind. Im also currently nearing 800 rounds of R1M1 and no issues at all. I intend moving onto Lapua 185gn match ammo soon and checking for results. I have not tried commercial 308 as I believe this has been the issue with other rifles.

Likes: The rifle is robust, runs a piston system, wide mag well for quick mag changes, The break on the rifle is very effective this coupled with the buffer on this system makes for a very low recoiling gun. Considering the calibre, to me the weapon recoils like a 556. I find the system to be very pointable especially with its 14,5" barrel.

Dislikes: The rifle is anti social, with a short barrel and the break on it, its loud very loud. Your friends wont want to go shooting with you anymore!

Add-ons: 3x30 acog, bad lever,and a CMC single stage trigger.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm -George Orwell

I wouldn't mind an opportunity to run the PWS along side a Gen2 for comparison purposes. First person to get a licence let me know and we can test them together back to back.
    I will book the 500m range at Blue gum valley for this.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm -George Orwell

Spiggs sir, you're easily pleased. Your rifle is reliable with 2 types of ammo and you're ok with that?

It's a lovely rifle I agree, but remember that pistons are über reliable, apparently.

User

I can tell you that the extractor on the PWS 308 is very strong and the long stroke piston is powerfull. The extractor will rip through the rim off a stuck brass case easily with the force generated by the gas pressure on the piston.

Maybe not always a good result because probably the only way to dislodge the stuck case is with a ramrod and if you do not have one it is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    I can tell you that the extractor on the PWS 308 is very strong and the long stroke piston is powerfull. The extractor will rip through the rim off a stuck brass case easily with the force generated by the gas pressure on the piston.

Maybe not always a good result because probably the only way to dislodge the stuck case is with a ramrod and if you do not have one it is a problem.
    The extractor has ripped the rim off steal Chinese cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Spiggs sir, you're easily pleased. Your rifle is reliable with 2 types of ammo and you're ok with that?

It's a lovely rifle I agree, but remember that pistons are über reliable, apparently.

lol I make a point to test a type of ammo then when im happy with I buy as much as I possibly can, normally several cases

User

Take into consideration that the PWS MK214 is a SRP $2900 rifle and the DPMS Gen2 is a SRP $1800 rifle.

It is going to be interesting to see what the new gen PWS MK214 is going to sell for when they get to SA again.

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    Take into consideration that the PWS MK214 is a SRP $2900 rifle and the DPMS Gen2 is a SRP $1800 rifle.

It is going to be interesting to see what the new gen PWS MK214 is going to sell for when they get to SA again.

Spoke to the PWS agent in Italy as the Americans wont deal with me. Quote on the new Gen2 PWS MK214 a staggering 3500 Euro!!! They suggested I just buy an upper.

To be honest I would pay the 55-60k the rifle would cost here just to have one. However you make a very good point! $1800 to $2900 is a massive difference.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast