User

Default competency expires

Hi all.
    Can anyone tell me what is waiting for me if my competency expires? Must I do the law and shooting tests again?
    I'll appreciate your help!

User

Default Re: competency expires

I haven't done it, but saw at the guy I did my Proficiency Training Test that he charged only R350 for Proficiency Test for Competency renewal. So at that price I think it is only reading and writing a test on the newest version of the FCA.

User

No, you do not do the tests again. You only give fingerprints and complete the form again.

Your new competency will be a piece of paper that will be valid as long as your license. So each time you renew your license your competency will automatically be extended.

W.S

User

Forester - do not get scammed into doing your proficincies again. They are valid for life, like your matric certificate. The only exception to this is the possibility/probability that you will have to do Unit Standard 117705 - 'Demonstrate Knowledge of the Act'. Much of this was included in the early Unit Standards but now the SAPS want a separate Unit Standard 117705.

I did mine on Friday. You need 3 declarations from friends and family stating that you are still a pretty decent oke (Examples of the declarations you can use can be found using the search function)

Copies of your ID, your proficiency training certificate and your old competency license, two colour ID Photos, R70, your fingers and about an hour.

Mine was about three months past the due date for renewal but it doesnt seem like a major issue if you missed the date, there is a section on the form to explain why it was not done in time. The stations have not received official communication on the renewal issue as yet and even the long overdue ones are being approved at this stage.

User

My competency expired earlier this year and I applied the end of April for a new rifle's license. The DFO told me if the person doing my application is awake he might question the validity of my competency as it has expired. When asked what then the DFO stated they have a letter from the CFR that the competency certificate is valid for the same period as your license. The DFO said to me there is no reason to apply for a new competency now. I hope this character (DFO) is on top of his job!!

Do you have to renew your competency (old cart type) with your FA or is the expiry date still applicable as printed on the competency card ? To my understanding there is no expirery date on the new competency certificates. And what if my competency (old card type) expired before my FA license can I renew my competency with FA license ?

Red face Re: competency expires

Quote Originally Posted by swartkobus View Post
    Do you have to renew your competency (old cart type) with your FA or is the expiry date still applicable as printed on the competency card ? To my understanding there is no expirery date on the new competency certificates. And what if my competency (old card type) expired before my FA license can I renew my competency with FA license ?
    Your competency is linked to the expiry of your firearm license. So if handgun license expires jan 1st 2018, so does competency. Same for all other competencies and firearms. So keep buying guns every few years, or reapply same time as you redo your license. And have fun.

Alan