Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Ar15 or Lm5?

User

Quote Originally Posted by flyinggun View Post
    Was the failures on R4/5's or LM's. Was the FA running on proper ammo or reloaded ammo. Most gun failures I have seen was not FA related, but poor "quality" of reloaded ammo.

Was the FA standard or already worked on by home grown Gunsmiths?
    By the same token. What has caused the AR issues you've witnessed

User

Default Re: Ar15 or Lm5?

Oh the mythical reliability and indestructability of the Galil/R/LM... Excuse me but...Bullshitt.

All of the below will stop a Galil/LM/R dead in its tracks: (Based on my experience using them, not from trolling the internet)
    Fine powder dust or sand in the action.
    Bent or dented steel mags (Trust me they are not that strong)
    Worn feed lips, cracked spines and broken off locking shelves (The little protruding thingy on the back) on the plastic variety.
    Peened locking recesses in the receiver from shooting the gun bone dry.

If you want to keep a Galil/LM/R working it needs to be kept acceptably clean and lubed and you have to use good mags. Just like an AR come to think of it...Otherwise you end up with a clumsy stick. The Galil has all the weaknesses of the AR, and none of the advantages like modularity and compatibility with stuff that increase you ability to hit the target.

User

I've used a LM5, FN FAL and AR15 for few years each shooting IPSC and IDPA and normal range work.
    LM5 and AR15 was run on SA Mill Ammo exclusively and the FAL was run on SA Mill and some (about 250 rounds) Norinco steel cased ammo.

I had zero malfunctions with my LM5 in all the years I owned it. My AR is going on 4 years(iirc) and I had to polish the chamber when I got it and from there I had zero malfunctions (I'm not talking about the odd dead primer here and there).

My opinion: If you want a Standard rifle (no optics) get an AR 15 with iron sights (lots of options available and gives you an option to fit optics in future). Or go LM5 route only if you have a passion for the platform or for nostalgic reasons. But it is NOT a better rifle than an AR IMHO. Not a bad rifle by a long shot, but it is heavier and bulkier than the AR and doesn't give you real viable options for optic mounting. And just FWIW it was more PT to clean than the AR.
    If you want an Open rifle with optics, there is only really one option and that is the AR.

A lot depends on your age and background in this discussion. I am an older person that was brought up on the R4/5 platform. I am comfortable with the way it works, how to clean and operate it. I do not use the plastic magazines. I also prefer the simplicity of the standard sights and figure if i can group a 20 cm radius at 100 m over open sights I am ok with that. I also like the fact that i can grab the Rifle when needed and not worry about a multitude of accessories getting banged about in the process. I do like the idea of a rail mounted hi quality torch for night work when you need both hands free.

The younger generation really find the AR platform appealing because of the massive availability of accessories to make their personal weapon really custom. I understand it but it's not for me. I also don't believe that a well cared for AR is any less reliable than a piston driven system.

Somebody asked about the LM4/5 barrels . I can answer that the Galil had a hard chromed hammer forged barrel and IWI still produce their rifles this way. A final thought - A 5.56 will fire a .223 but the practice is not recomended the other way round. Lots of reading and opinions on the net about this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6