Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Securing a safe

User

Default Securing a safe

Hi guys

I have searched through the various forums but couldn't find an answer.

In the not too distant future I will be moving into a company house. My dilemma is that it is an old house and of prefab construction. The only cemented area is the floor.

How would I go about securing my safe so that it complies confused0083

Default Re: Securing a safe

Rawl bolts to the floor.

It doesnt have to be bolted to the wall and floor, just one of them.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Thanks SSP

Chemical anchors are even easier. Most hardware stores sell them lose these days.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

hjk

if i may just ask a question on this particular thread as it conforms to the original question...

i just bought a somewhat sturdy safe,it took 7 + 2 to move it, and that was just the body and the safe door separate while it was empty.

the door must weigh about 100kg's while the body of the safe must weigh in at around between the 200-300kg mark, as 7 sturdy fellows could only pick it up about 3-5 cm's at a time and only for a short amount of time. So that being said, once the door is on and the safe moved to its position, this safe being filled with another 100kg's more or less of ammo and firearms, does one really have to bolt this beast down to comply, i am a sturdy fellow, and can not rock the safe empty with the door on, were talking a flipping serious safe here, thick metal alllllll over...

Your thoughts, the body of the safe is at least 10CM's, your thought and insights please...

kissass

If i remember correctly there is weight specification where any safe heavier doesn't have to be bolted down. Think it may be 300 kg. Will see if I can find it. Sure that Khumba will know.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

Quote Originally Posted by andy_760901
    hjk

if i may just ask a question on this particular thread as it conforms to the original question...

i just bought a somewhat sturdy safe,it took 7 + 2 to move it, and that was just the body and the safe door separate while it was empty.

the door must weigh about 100kg's while the body of the safe must weigh in at around between the 200-300kg mark, as 7 sturdy fellows could only pick it up about 3-5 cm's at a time and only for a short amount of time. So that being said, once the door is on and the safe moved to its position, this safe being filled with another 100kg's more or less of ammo and firearms, does one really have to bolt this beast down to comply, i am a sturdy fellow, and can not rock the safe empty with the door on, were talking a flipping serious safe here, thick metal alllllll over...

Your thoughts, the body of the safe is at least 10CM's, your thought and insights please...

kissass

no No NO NO Andy!!! whp whp whp whp

Confusing practical reality with theory AS WELL AS what actually is, with what some in politics, academia and legalemia require of us to accept unquestioningly (Is there such a word as "legalemia"? Never mind, I've just invented it! hpy180), is completely UNFORGIVEABLE!!! :police: :police: :police: :police: :police:

The fact that your multi-ton safe requires a fork-lift to move it, whilst my one-gun wall safe (secured with TWO cfd89 cfd89 cfd89 8mm Rawl Bolts) can be prie out of the wall using a screwdriver is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT because the keepers of our personal safety have, in their infinate wisdom, decreed that[glow=red,2,300][b]THERE SHALT BE A RAWL BOLT!! ..... AT LEAST TWO rawl bolts!!! PREFERABLY MORE THAN TWO RAWL BOLTS!!!!!!!!!!

User

I have heard (not first hand mind you) of ridiculously heavy safes being stolen. Never underestimate the will of a determined group of criminals. AFTER your safe has been stolen you may have a helluva time trying to prove that your safe weighed over the specified amount. If you CAN secure it to the wall/floor/ceiling, I say do it!

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by DrDave
    I have heard (not first hand mind you) of ridiculously heavy safes being stolen. Never underestimate the will of a determined group of criminals. AFTER your safe has been stolen you may have a helluva time trying to prove that your safe weighed over the specified amount. If you CAN secure it to the wall/floor/ceiling, I say do it!
    Agreed. A couple years ago a mate of mine lost his entire hunting rifle collection, 10-rifle safe and all! The safe and contents weighed in excess of 400kg with 100kg of lead ballast packed in the bottom as he couldn't make holes in the box to bolt it down (it was a sealed, fire-proof safe). The goblins managed to get it to the top of the stairs and then rolled it end-over-end down two flights of stairs and into the back of a bakkie. Hopefully the contents were totalled by the exercise...

I'm sure you've all heard the stories about our bunch being able to break an anvil? Well, it's true!
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Not to mention the vindictiveness and evil cunning of a soon to be ex wife...seen several really heavy safes moved while guys were out of town via the 'almost ex' calling a freight company, then having safe cut open, guns removed and sold for next to nothing...all perfectly legal.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast