Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Self build safe

Default Re: Self build safe

Quote Originally Posted by Jpzx12rturbo View Post
    Thanks for your input WZ
    As I said this one is for the office for file/doc. Ect. So it's not really a train smash.
    But before I do even contemplate building one for myself/firearms, i wanted to find out about all the legalities & standards (which is exactly what I'm accomplishing here)
    And as I've only downloaded and read 953-1, and according to that it complies.. Maybe I should get the rest of the documents before I make a decision to build another one.
    Okay – glad to hear that. It would comply if it was B series/category safe but I do not think it complies for a A series/category safe in terms of 953 – 1. Read it very carefully. Anyway, you decide for yourself.

Post an intro
    Last edited by camouflage762; 01-08-2014 at 21:05.

Quote Originally Posted by atunguyd View Post
    And you comply by getting it inspected by a test house (SABS) and a certificate of compliance issued. I am sure this is standard practise for anything that requires compliance, it is up to you the manufacturer to contact SABS and ask how compliance is determined, in some cases it is self certified, in some you do the tests yourself and then submit your results to SABS and in others you have to send a sample to SABS.

Just because it passed the DFO inspection doesn't mean it is legal, you will only find out how legal it is if your guns are stolen out of it, then if there is no SABS compliance I suspect you will be in for a bit of a problem.

Just like no one cares whether the stove LG made passed electrical safety.... That is until it shocks someone
    According to my DFO there is absolutely no requirement for it to be approved by the SABS, the only requirement for it to comply with the standard is that the steel of each section is of the required thickness, and that the lock has the correct number of levers. There is no need for it to be inspected or specs sent to the sabs for approval. You can make it in your garage if you please, just as long as your steel is thick enough

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3