Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default 6.5 Creedmoor in South Africa

Seeing as how I liked the 300 Blackout instantly, here I am getting interested in another flavour of the month new round. Has this round caught the interest of anybody else here? Technically it would just be a 6.5 barrel on a .308 base sized action, so maybe somebody has made a custom setup here? I suppose expecting factory ammo is out of the question....

While trying to teach myself about long range rifles I saw it recommended a couple of times so I was just curious.

User

Default Re: 6.5 Creedmoor in South Africa

I would love a rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor! IMO it makes more sense to go the 260 Rem route in SA

User

Agreed with Theron, in SA currently 260 Rem makes more sense since decent Lapua is available and you might even find factory ammo.
    You could form 6.5 creedmoor brass from 22-250 Lapua if you wanted the same quality but I would just go the 260 route.

User

iirc, Darren12 bought 2 (Ruger M77??) a while back.......

User

I know of people shooting the Savage LRP rifles 6.5 Creedmoor. If you want to go the custom route it would be as easy as you suggest.

I also looked at the 6.5mm Creedmore/260 Rem/6.5x47 for my 'precision' platform. Ballistically, all of these rounds are very close to each other, so what it ultimately comes down to - for me - is the availability of components. It's fairly straightforward (inasmuch as it's straightforward to get any firearm components) to get good 260 Rem components (Lapua brass, bullets, rifles - and barrels) in SA.

User

Sadly, I expect my budget only allows for a good old Howa in .308, but it's interesting to read up on the physics behind why the cartridge/bullet combination performs well.

User

Quote Originally Posted by ARM505 View Post
    Sadly, I expect my budget only allows for a good old Howa in .308, but it's interesting to read up on the physics behind why the cartridge/bullet combination performs well.
    good old Howa in .243 is another option

User

I just bought a Ruger Hawkeye Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. Camdix are advertising a Ruger Varmint/Target in this caliber.
    Brass is becoming available, saw some Nosler brass at S&O, Camdix also have brass. I managed to get 10 boxes of Hornady factory ammo, will use the brass from these for starters.

I plan to use mine for "Veldskiet" competitions, of course now that I have my app ready, our DFO is on leave.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fishaman View Post
    I just bought a Ruger Hawkeye Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor. Camdix are advertising a Ruger Varmint/Target in this caliber.
    Brass is becoming available, saw some Nosler brass at S&O, Camdix also have brass. I managed to get 10 boxes of Hornady factory ammo, will use the brass from these for starters.

I plan to use mine for "Veldskiet" competitions, of course now that I have my app ready, our DFO is on leave.....
    Now we just need Lapua to start manufacturing brass for the 6.5 Creedmoor :)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast