Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: 6.5 Creedmoor in South Africa

I'd be happy to find a box of factory ammo to sight mine in when CFR finally pulls finger and gives me my rifle...

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    I'd be happy to find a box of factory ammo to sight mine in when CFR finally pulls finger and gives me my rifle...
    I bought some Hornady ammo from Savuti Septemberish Last year. They had plenty on the shelf still

User

Quote Originally Posted by singh17 View Post
    I bought some Hornady ammo from Savuti Septemberish Last year. They had plenty on the shelf still
    Thanks for the heads up, will try them first once licence comes through..

User

Hey guys,

Im thinking of getting my first rifle and the one I really want is only available in 6.5 Creedmoor (was thinking to start with a 308). Is there still issues with cost and availability with this round in 2019 compared to 308?

If I load my own ammunition, what sort of cost would I be looking at per round after the initial brass investment (rough estimate or if you load, what is your cost per round).

Thanks!

User

Factory ammo can be had as low as R350 a box of 20, S&B from various places, mostly Camdix. Good over the counter match ammo is R550 upwards, stuff like Winchester which my rifle actually likes.

Brass can be horrendously expensive, budget around 2k for 100x Lapua cases, Shooting Stuff had Starline brass at a bit cheaper and it's also not bad. I just use S&B brass and some are on their 6th firing. They do get annealed properly though.

6.5mm heads are getting expensive, last 130gn Bergers I paid R720 for, they're now just over 1k. Hornady 140gn ELDM can still be had for around R860ish, depending if you shop around. I use only Federal Match primers, they're expensive, but other primers like Magtec can work. Since you're going to have to run imported powder, figure on anything around R800 for a tin. You can work the cost per round out from that, I don't (I don't need that sort of negativity in my life )

...and Messor will be in soon to tell you to buy the 308, that the 6.5CM is like bio-diesel, it's from the devil, should be banned from the planet, and that you will regret it for generations to come..

User

Quote Originally Posted by PTsalas View Post
    Hey guys,

Im thinking of getting my first rifle and the one I really want is only available in 6.5 Creedmoor (was thinking to start with a 308). Is there still issues with cost and availability with this round in 2019 compared to 308?

If I load my own ammunition, what sort of cost would I be looking at per round after the initial brass investment (rough estimate or if you load, what is your cost per round).

Thanks!
    What rifle do you want, and what is your purpose for the rifle? No benefit in getting a .308 if you want to be doing exclusively long-range shooting for hours on the range, and no benefit in getting a 6.5 CM if you want a bushveld hunting rifle.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    What rifle do you want, and what is your purpose for the rifle? No benefit in getting a .308 if you want to be doing exclusively long-range shooting for hours on the range, and no benefit in getting a 6.5 CM if you want a bushveld hunting rifle.
    98% of the time will be at the range with maybe 1 (if that) hunt every 2-3 years so the 6.5 I hear is the one for that.

Only reason I thought of 308 first is due to the cost of the ammunition, my info may be outdated now. I see in the US the 6.5mm is now nearly identical in cost to 308 due to its rapid gain in popularity the past few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Factory ammo can be had as low as R350 a box of 20, S&B from various places, mostly Camdix. Good over the counter match ammo is R550 upwards, stuff like Winchester which my rifle actually likes.

Brass can be horrendously expensive, budget around 2k for 100x Lapua cases, Shooting Stuff had Starline brass at a bit cheaper and it's also not bad. I just use S&B brass and some are on their 6th firing. They do get annealed properly though.

6.5mm heads are getting expensive, last 130gn Bergers I paid R720 for, they're now just over 1k. Hornady 140gn ELDM can still be had for around R860ish, depending if you shop around. I use only Federal Match primers, they're expensive, but other primers like Magtec can work. Since you're going to have to run imported powder, figure on anything around R800 for a tin. You can work the cost per round out from that, I don't (I don't need that sort of negativity in my life )

...and Messor will be in soon to tell you to buy the 308, that the 6.5CM is like bio-diesel, it's from the devil, should be banned from the planet, and that you will regret it for generations to come..
    Thanks very much for this info.

I’m assuming the factory ammo you refer to at the start is for Creedmoor.

Am I right then that it is cheaper to use factory loads than to hand load (Just comparing cost)?

Also, is that the cost for qty 20 heads that you quoted ?

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

As far as I can see at my localish gunshops the ammo for 308 and 6.5 Creed are pretty simmilar. There was a diffrence when PMP still made 308 ammo, but as that has gotten almost imposible to find most of the other ammo is similar in cost. All bullets have gotten bloody expensive, when I started loading 6.5 it was 600 for 100 bullets and 580 for 100 308 bullets now it is rare to see either for under R700 a pack of 100.
    A Creedmoor will serve well as a range rifle, but any range rifle is expensive.

User

No, it depends on the heads. Barnes if I'm not mistaken is 50 in a box, Berger VLD's are 100 in a box, ELDM is 100 in a box. Check each box you buy to see if it's 50 or 100. I know Brothers Arms also had Nosler RDF in bulk boxes of 500, which per round works out cheaper, but they wouldn't group for shit in my rifle. I bought a 100 heads at R650 to test, and gave over 50 away.

The S&B factory ammo is fine for plinking, but a bit slow, we chronied it at around 2550fps. I load my 130gn Berger VLD's to 2804fps, and it works perfectly for the NRL matches I shoot in.

There's also plenty hunting heads to choose from, Hornaday 143gn ELD-X comes to mind, and TStone here on the forum swears by Hornaday GMX monolithics and has shown some incredible performance by them.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast