User

Default AR-10 in Rhodesia; any Rhodesian veterans remember?

Hi All,

Thanks for the great forum; I feel privileged to post here in the company of real heroes of the Rhodesian forces. I am a researcher who is currently writing a book on the history of the American-designed, Dutch-built Armalite AR-10 battle rifle.

Portuguese AR-10.jpg

This rifle was ingeniously advanced, and eons ahead of its time, and as such was viewed as being too modern and radical for the tastes of major military establishments. The only two countries that used it meaningfully in combat were Sudan in their civil war, and Portugal in, among other places, Mozambique. When the Portuguese quit Mozambique and Machel took over and started to arm, supply, and support the communist ZANU-PF terrorists, between 100 and 300 of the Portuguese AR-10 rifles (the most advanced, reliable, and accurate version) fell into terrorist hands, and many were brought across the border into Rhodesia, to be captured by Rhodesian forces.

I have spoken with several veterans of different Rhodesian units (Selous Scouts, SAS, RLI, etc.) who used, or remember others in their units using the AR-10, in place of the FAL. The end users claimed that they preferred the AR-10's lower weight (8-9lbs), far better recoil control (from straight-line stock and direct-impingement gas system), phenomenal accuracy (even worn-out Portuguese AR-10s with bad barrels would still reliably shoot 1-2MOA with M80 ball ammunition), and the ability to reload more quickly.

I hope some veterans who remember this rifle will be able to educate me more on its use. The story of anyone who even saw or heard a report about this rifle would be pure gold to my research. I have included a picture (above) of the Portuguese version that the veterans remember using and seeing, although it is possible that some Sudanese rifles made their way down in the hands of terrorists. I know that the FRELIMO, MPLA, and FNLA got some and used them against the Portuguese, so it seems possible that this could have happened.

Thanks so much for your help in my research!
    Attached Images Attached Images