Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default Collector's status

Hi guys,

How do you get this status?

The only reason I think I'll use this is if I only what to buy/collect a certain brand of rifle...

Banned

Default Re: Collector's status

The easiest way is to join a collectors organisation - Google will be your friend here.

User

You have to become a member in good standing with an accredited collector's association.
    You would also have to have an approved "theme" under which your collection will reside. Most of the time this theme will be coupled with a specific time period.

For instance:
    "Small arms used by the Brittish forced during ww2 (1939-1945)
    A collector can have more than one theme. Each theme must however be approved by the collector's association. This usually includes a personal interview by a experts in the field of collecting.

there are four categories of collectors:
    Cat D - Handguns and bolt action rifles (max 6 firearms) (entry level collector)
    Cat C - Handguns and bolt action rifles (No firearm numerical limit)
    Cat B - Can include semi-auto rifles and shotguns (restricted firearms)
    Cat A - Can include full-auto firearms (prohibited firearms)

In order to license a firearm as collector, you must obtain a collectability certificate for that firearm signed by your collecting chairman. You must therefore convince your collection association that your intended firearm falls into your collection theme and is in fact collectable.
    Last edited by Wanderin' Zero; 13-07-2014 at 11:23.

User

How strict are the collection criteria with regards to the availability of guns?

While probably not something you'll see in SA, but going with your "Small arms used by British forces 1939-45" something like the Boys rifle, or the "Rifle, Anti-Tank, .55in, Boys"

After the war many were converted to .50 BMG. Does it still count? Same with something like a semi auto Bren. Does it still fit in the theme or is it not included because it isn't, actually, something they used?

KBK

User

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    How strict are the collection criteria with regards to the availability of guns?

While probably not something you'll see in SA, but going with your "Small arms used by British forces 1939-45" something like the Boys rifle, or the "Rifle, Anti-Tank, .55in, Boys"

After the war many were converted to .50 BMG. Does it still count? Same with something like a semi auto Bren. Does it still fit in the theme or is it not included because it isn't, actually, something they used?

KBK
    That will depend on many variables, like how your "field" and "theme" are described. But, speaking generally, any Boyes would be rare and collectable. And a converted one would be shootable too. (,55" Boyes ammo being unobtainable.) Most collectors are shooters too, so they do value a shootable specimen. And having an original, and a converted shootable one, would be even better.
    Same would go for a BREN. There were many variants, but a Cat B collector should have no problem getting a certificate (same concept as an Sec16 "endorsement") for a "limited to semi-auto BREN", if it fits in one of his themes.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pvosloo View Post
    Hi guys,

How do you get this status?

The only reason I think I'll use this is if I only what to buy/collect a certain brand of rifle...

Go check out this web site.... Paaa.co.za - should answer most of your questions and also has all the processes defined

R.I.P. Feb 2015

This is a very interesting topic but where the hell does one start to decide on what category to collect? I love such a wide range of firearms that it is almost impossible!

Quote Originally Posted by Bokman View Post
    This is a very interesting topic but where the hell does one start to decide on what category to collect? I love such a wide range of firearms that it is almost impossible!
    That is a common problem/issue. Start with a narrow theme about which you know a great deal. Then later, as your interests and your knowledge expand, you can add other themes. The FCA requires you to have "interest in and knowledge of" what you want to collect. It is on the "knowledge of" component that many people fall down when questions are asked.

R.I.P. Feb 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    That is a common problem/issue. Start with a narrow theme about which you know a great deal. Then later, as your interests and your knowledge expand, you can add other themes. The FCA requires you to have "interest in and knowledge of" what you want to collect. It is on the "knowledge of" component that many people fall down when questions are asked.
    Thanks WZ it is sound advice! Does that mean that one has to undergo a type of exam?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Bokman View Post
    hear you, had a similar prob in the beginning, once I joined, a lot of guidance especially when new act came into place, lost none of my guns, but rather found ways to streamline and align to certain themes as prescribed by ass, thus still gives me a wide choice today, if one is serious, then I would definatelly recommend, the only prob is the bank balance and one never stops acquiring more!!! comes with the territory I guess

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast