Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Collector's status

Quote Originally Posted by Vega5 View Post
    I apologize for the side question. Let say you now get to a point with your current shooting sport and you have 30 guns and you're not in the mood to compete anymore. Can you then before a collector, let's say with a "modern combat" theme and license all those under collector? Or can you be a dedicated sports shooter and maintain the minimum required and also be a collector for subsequent guns?
    "Modern combat" theme would be worth a try but in practise you would probably have to massage your existing collection a bit because an acceptable Field of Interest (FoI) typically has quite a narrow focus. You might have to get rid of some, but in turn you might be able to replace them with others. I would guess that you wouldn't be able to transpose your entire collection from dedicated sports shooter status to collector status in one go and in a single FoI. You would need to find several common threads linking the firearms including aspects such as time period, manufacturer, calibre or a specific discipline within "combat shooting" or anything other thread you can think of and convince your peers that evaluate you that your interest is genuine & the FoI is valid. If you were determined to keep your entire collection "as is" you would probably have to develop more than one FoI. I know collectors that have created collections of what one would loosely describe as "modern combat" so it is possible but don't believe for a moment that it is straightforward.

In collecting you are only limited by your imagination and your ability to convince your peers of the validity of your theme but I promise you it is NOT an easy way out. Although we all love shooting, collecting is viewed as a bit more of an academic occupation and your outlook has to be adjusted accordingly.

Note that there is increasing and considerable resistance to the granting of a certificate of collectability (collecting's equivalent of sports and shooting's endorsements) in respect of current production semiautomatics. You would probably find it quite difficult, if not very difficult, maybe even impossible, to obtain a certificate of collectability for, for example, an NEA. You also need to bear in mind that it will be at least a few years before you will even be able to contemplate applying for a certificate of collectability for such an item as you will not get to Category B until you have served your time and properly established your credentials as a collector.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Yes, that is more or less correct. And it usually takes, at the very least, a number of years. It really is not an option for people who are simply looking for an easy way to license a semiautomatic long gun.
    What if one has no interest in pistols or bolt action rifles? I honestly have no space in my life for bolt action military guns and very little space for pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayback View Post
    What if one has no interest in pistols or bolt action rifles? I honestly have no space in my life for bolt action military guns and very little space for pistols.
    Quite frankly, then you will need to find some other way in which to fulfill your desires as you will not come right within the collector's world.

User

Sounds rather selective then.....

KBK

Sounds rather selective then.....

KBK
    That is the usual reaction of people who are only interested in semiautomatic weapons when they find out that they cannot immediately start collecting semiautomatic weapons. On the other hand, from the collectors perspective the view is fundamentally different. There are good and sound reasons for the processes and rules established by the collectors associations and they would have to be a truly exceptional reason for any of those processes and rules to be departed from.

R.I.P. Feb 2015

Not sure but I get the idea that collectors status is more for historical type weapons? I would then still keep my dedicated status and license all those guns under that and only license the real collectors items under collectors status.

Would it be worth it to change a guns status from current sport to collectors? Some of the guns I have can then make way for newer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokman View Post
    Not sure but I get the idea that collectors status is more for historical type weapons? I would then still keep my dedicated status and license all those guns under that and only license the real collectors items under collectors status.

Would it be worth it to change a guns status from current sport to collectors? Some of the guns I have can then make way for newer ones.
    As to your first paragraph, you have the right idea. As to your second paragraph, no I do not think it is worth it. Keep your sport shooting guns licensed as such. They fall into an entirely different category and in any event, some of the things that you can readily licence for sports shooting are sometimes very difficult to justify for collecting.

R.I.P. Feb 2015

Thanks for all the help WZ. I will keep you in the loop as to how things are going.

User

There are many themes that could cater for say "American Revolvers" or "Spanish revolvers" (with a time window) or "European Self loading rifles from 1945 to 1980". The revolver themes would be suitable for a Cat D or C collector. The rifles, only once you have progressed to Cat B. Mostly, your collector's association will guide you through the process, once you have established your bona fides.

For a start, try to attend the annual SAAACA arms fair. If I remember correctly, it will be held on 2 and 3 Aug 2014, at the "war museum" in Saxonwold, Jhb (next to the zoo). Always worth a visit. And many knowledgable people to answer all your questions.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast