Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kalahari Hunts

User

Default Re: Kalahari Hunts

Thank you to all for the advise. I've made the booking - now to practise those long shots. I'm not very keen on bakkie hunting, so i'll discuss this with the manager. I have a hunting motto - "fools rush in". I like to hunt on foot and take it very slowly. I am one of those that if I return home empty handed, then at least I enjoyed the hunting experience. I like to hunt my way - it's after all my money. I have the option to use my own vehicle as with theirs you need to pay for the guide, driver and vehicle which sets you back by at least R3k per day!! Not my cup of tea. I'll discuss the 'hunting on foot' with the manager - he's been very helpful thus far - I do not think it will be a problem. Regarding the holiday vs hunting - I've done it a lot in the past and its worked well for me. Taking in the surroundings, the birds, the night sounds, the tracking, stalking etc... that's what I like most - the killing is bit of an anti-climax. My biggest concern is long distance shots - it just makes the odds of wounding bigger - but for that I will practise a lot. Glad to see you guys r talking 'bout 200m shots - that I'll be comfortable with - 300m, then it gets bit risky for me - hate to wound an animal and then spend the rest of the day chasing after it - I prefer a one shot kill shot. Regarding the value aspect - I'm more than willing to pay if I get value for money. I do my research and try to know beforehand what Im getting myself into. As long as I get what I pay for. Now the anticipation for the next 8 months and to get my 4x4 ready for the long road and Kalahari conditions.

If you hunt on foot, you wont have to shoot long shots.
    When we first hunted on the Kalahari farm, the owner gave us the following advice:
    "If a springbuck is at a distance that you want to take the shot, it is 200 m or closer.
    Don't aim above the buck, you'll shoot over it!"

Forget the long shots, convince the manager to allow you to hunt on foot.
    Zero your rifle at 150 or 200 m, and you can do it.

The way the dunes lie in that area, you'll hunt from north, maybe north-east to south (maybe south-west) in the mornings, and in the opposite direction in the afternoons.
    That way you'll have the sun behind you, which make it easier for you to see the buck, and more difficult for them to see you.
    If it is cold, you'll have the further advantage of the buck sunning themselves on the morning hunts.

Enjoy your hunt.

Willie Barnard

User

Thank you for the advise Willie - it all makes sense. I'm keen to know how hard the trip is going to be on my bakkie. I'll be using it on the hunt as well. Any advise? Im due for new tyres and shocks.

Charley, I am not qualified to give off-road driving advice, but I'll tell you what works for us.
    If you approach your destination via Hotazel-Van zylsrus, you'll travel about 120 km of fairly bad gravel road.
    If via Upington-Askham about 60 km gravel. The rest is tar. Considering the bigger picture that is nothing.
    Don't rush on the gravel, and you'll be fine.

On the farm itself you'll drive on soft sand roads, and occasionally in the veld to pick up your game. Sometimes you'll have to run up a dune from the steep southern side, with enough momentum to carry you over it. You'll soon learn the knack of it.

Remember one thing: DIE SWAARSTE VRAG WAT JY IN DIE KALAHARI KAN OPLAAI IS STYWE BANDE!
    (The heaviest load in the Kalahari is overinflated tyres.)

For sand driving your tyre pressure must be low. We find that 1,1 or 1,0 bar works for us. Take a 12V compressor to re-inflate your tyres for the long drive back, when you are loaded to the gunwales with game meat! You don't want to damage the side walls on those gravel roads. We usually take at least two spare wheels per vehicle.

4 x4 is a nice to have, but there are many Kalahari farmers who do just fine with their 4 x 2s and "slap bande".

I have returned from the Kalahari only two weeks ago, and here I am feeling jealous of you!
    I would love to get feedback from you in a year's time, to hear if any of my advice made sense.

Willie barnard

User

Thanx for the advise. Ill place a report when back.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2