Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Seal Clubbing - acceptable or not...?

As someone who has worked in the wildlife industry for many years and (many years ago) worked at a wildlife rehab centre where we bred certain animals as food for the other animals/ predators at the centre, ill give you my take.
    clubbing is a very efficient and quick death. Whether seals are clubbed as a part of a sustainable use program /culling program , or are being exploited Im not sure. My belief is that " if it pays it stays."

I took no pleasure in killing the countless bunnies and guinepigs, rats and mice. (ok well maybe the rats) that I fed to the predators.

User

(ok well maybe the rats)happy0065

....phew...i was getting worried there about you a moment.... grn1

I have not seen the clubbing myself, and one should be objective as well - like you say - if it pay it stay - all over it works like that.
    Although i do not condone the manner (personally) i do wear seal shoes - so i am just a "guilty" as the guy with the club in hand.

Thanks for your objective reply. tup

Quote Originally Posted by Bushboy
    As someone who has worked in the wildlife industry for many years and (many years ago) worked at a wildlife rehab centre where we bred certain animals as food for the other animals/ predators at the centre, ill give you my take.
    clubbing is a very efficient and quick death. Whether seals are clubbed as a part of a sustainable use program /culling program , or are being exploited Im not sure. My belief is that " if it pays it stays."

I took no pleasure in killing the countless bunnies and guinepigs, rats and mice. (ok well maybe the rats) that I fed to the predators.

and to clarify, all those bunnies were either clubbed to death or had thier heads beaten against a hard surface (easier for small stuff)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushboy

I am with Bushboy here, truth is without a market there is no hope for survival for the wildlife in Africa! they are competing with an ever expanding and demanding human consumer base and they do need to have economic value!

The anti's liberals and others always try and interject the emotive side of any argument purely to win not because they really believe it!
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

Although not easy to watch (and I don't think I'm the kind of person who would be able to do this kind of job), I think it is required. I'm with Bushboy on this one.

Besides from the animals being terrified for a couple of minutes (which is not cool), they die quicker than say that blesbok that is shot and runs for 50m before dropping. And for the record, I have nothing against hunting...I love it.

User

By all accounts, it is THE most effective way of killing seals. The head of a Seal is soft on top and one good blow will despatch it very quickly. Just does not look good! Maybe we must get over ourselves - society does tend to make us soft and frown upon time honored methodsw of doing things. Just go watch how wild dogs kill their prey - :o

Maybe seal clubbing isn't all that bad...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sometimes you just don't have a choice...
    Attached Images Attached Images

User

OK, so most people object to clubbing of seals, but what was wrong with the baboon abattoir that was located just North of Pretoria? Baboons are classified as vermin (pests), they are not endangered (these were not the sacred Cape Baboon that was being slaughtered) and this was a professionally run abattoir where the baboons were slaughtered humanely, as confirmed by various pvt and government organisations. The baboon meat was to be used for pet food or cheap canned food - meatballs in tomato sauce... with so many starving ppl, you'd think they'd welcome some fresh clean safe meat??
    Why was this stopped? ...but elephant culling and seal clubbing is allowed?? I do not understand, please explain this to me...

I think clubbing is ok as a method. I am pretty sure that if their was an easier/more cost effective way of doing it then it would be done. I am sure that an abbottair is also unpleasant but I will continue to enjoy braaivleis.

BTW Tiger Wood's wife also enjoys clubbing.
    ;D
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast