Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Seal Clubbing - acceptable or not...?

Attached Images Attached Images
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Clubbing seals for their pelts, so that some rich bitch who just cant help herself... she must just have a seal fur coat worth how many thousands... BARBARIC imho

I love the emotion on this thread!

But IMO the issue is getting clouded in the stuff (emotion that is). I would really recommend the read "The Wildlife Game" by Ron Thomson - for a level headed and analytic look at this and other issues. The book also deals very well with issues of the sustainability of game conservation in Africa and the importance of hunting in the bigger picture. Really, read it, it is worth the effort!

Back to seal clubbing: watching death happen in any context will be disturbing (it must be, and I would venture a theory that it has to do with our wiring - something about us striving to stay alive as a species), be it seals being clubbed, or a close-up of a bullet passing through a springbuck's head, or cattle being slaughtered in an abattoir. The seal's situation is possibly even more so, as the clubber is so close to the animal and personally engaging it, looking into its eyes.

Just because we hunt does not necessarily harden us to death. Even after hunting for 27years, I still find the death of the animal to be a deeply touching thing - and do not celebrate it, [and here I am going to become clicheic] but rather its life and the role I have played in the larger system. I hunt because it is about so much more than me, or my killing an animal.

I strongly believe that if the clips of seal clubbing do not effect you, then you are a stone cold SOB. That it does effect you, at the same time does not make it "wrong" by any absolute rule of truth. :-\

It is uncool, as Mary said..... :'(

Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by NutJob
    Clubbing seals for their pelts, so that some rich bitch who just cant help herself... she must just have a seal fur coat worth how many thousands... BARBARIC imho
    Does the same apply for suede/leather jackets, car upholstery, shoes etc?

:)
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

762, the point I was about to make exactly! kissass

Almost every product we use/ eat has some impact. Even the lettuce you eat. (someone has to plow up virin bush eradicating/dispacing all wildlfe first) Just because you dont see the animal dying doesnt mean its pretty. Do yourself a favour Nutjob, make an appointment at an abbatoir and go on a tour, It will open your eyes. The operation is slick but very brutal, but death is brutal. Ive done this, (Beef, sheep, pigs, chicken abatoir tours during my studies) but I still enjoy meat, wear leather shoes and belts etc. In fact whilst studying we had to raise a steer, feed it every day, train it for show purposes tame it so its easy to handle etc....then enter it for the carcass competition. This was tough, but I knew from the beginning that was what was the purpose of the beast, Prime beef, and an A grade (excuse the pun) hpy180

User

This is a really good thread!

Quote Originally Posted by camouflage762
    Quote Originally Posted by NutJob
    Does the same apply for suede/leather jackets, car upholstery, shoes etc?

:)
    it's called a leather substitute........... AKA Pleather....
    so what i eat meat... there are reasons why you dont bond with lunch.(excuse the reference or what ever it is you call it) seals however do not get eaten.. they get skinned and left to rot.... dont make me bring out the big guns as far as the fur trade is concerned, this is one debate you will loose..

not trying to be funny or step on toes... its just my principles as far as this matter is concerned.

peace NJ

If Im correct the thread is whether or not clubbing sseals, as opposed to shooting them is what this is about. Whether they need to be culled or not is a another subject entirely. As to whether clubbing is humane, My opinion, yes its humane.

NJ you cant take emotion into it. Seals are cute and cudly and we say shame you cant kill it. Many trophy hunters who shoot lions only take the skin. I shoots baboons regularly and leave the carcass for the leopards. Baboons cost me, leopards pay me.

Once when culling impala as an apprentice, I gutted one and found a lamb inside, and i felt bad. My boss/mentor corrected my view by saying, "no thats great!, 2 impala 1 bullet!" We needed to cull them otherwise the balance would be out. Bambi must die

NJ

Without trying to offend you here, I do believe that you are applying more than a bit of dualism in your contirbution to the debate. You should read the book "the wildlife game".

BTW, the seal meat is used - it is only a fraction what most Namibian dogs (and the wilddogs in the Namibian wild dog programme - if I am not mistaken the Strandwolf programme use it too - to add a soft and "greener" angle) get in the dried and pelletised food that they eat.

I respect your opinions and views, so all is good.

Personally, I would rather that seal pelts had a value so that propper research and management around these interesting animals could be sponsored.

Sweet

sorry guys i did not mean to get all emotional with regards to the matter. Camouflage762 to you mostly i did not want to sound harsh, i rehabilitate animals and i have seen what humans can do to the poor things... MY apologies once again

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast