Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Seal Clubbing - acceptable or not...?

Quote Originally Posted by NutJob
    sorry guys i did not mean to get all emotional with regards to the matter. Camouflage762 to you mostly i did not want to sound harsh, i rehabilitate animals and i have seen what humans can do to the poor things... MY apologies once again
    No offence was taken.
    ;D
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

thanks Camo hpy180

Bushboy, i would think there is a reason for me having not watched the clip that was posted.... so uuum nope, there is no chance in hell that i will even go near an abattoir, i kinda like the steak i have for lunch but, i am seriously not in the game of meeting my lunch first..

Who decides what is humane and what is not..... confused0083

To me this is a renewable resource from nature and as long as it is done on a level whereby the population is not placed under pressure....then I am OK with it.

Another point of view...
    Assume a ParktownPrawn or cockroachbuginsect was the size of a seal.
    Would this change perceptions.....
    Would one still encounter the same opposition to culling?

Problem is that seals are to damed cute, this then clouds & confounds the whole sustainable use debate. :-\
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

It is the old "if it pays, it stays" debate. As long as those seals have a value they will be protected and managed as part of the broader invironment. As soon as they loose their commercial value they will be seen as a competitor for other commodities like the valuable fishing industry on Namibia's coast. Then they will fall into the category of vermin and that will be far worse for them.

It is sad that humans take such a huge portion of the worlds resources for ourselves and that everything else must me "managed" so that we can get our cut first but that is the way it is. I would love to see the worlds population halved. That probably won't happen in a hurry. Ultimately, I believe this planet will still be here, full of life, for millions of years after humanity has disapeared from it. That is the bigger picture, so I do not believe that anything we do will have any major impact other that a very short term impact. That is the problem with us. We think our extremely brief history and short term future on this planet is a major event. In the end, the few thousand years will be a tiny slice of the hundreds of millions of years that this planet has had life on it. The Dinosaurs roamed for hundreds of millions of years. Humans have only existed for maybe a hundred thousand years and 99% of what we have done has happened in the last couple of thousand years.

Don't worry, the earth will be fine. The incidents that wiped out other era's were way worse than anything man could do and yet the earth is still here with abundant life.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

confused0083
    Last edited by fhm3006; 18-12-2009 at 14:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Murphy
    It is sad that humans take such a huge portion of the worlds resources for ourselves and that everything else must me "managed" so that we can get our cut first but that is the way it is. I would love to see the worlds population halved.
    I agree with you. Humans just keep on getting more and more and keep on demanding more and more.

And for reducing the worlds population.....just re-introduce the Death Penalty in South Africa and you would make a serious move into that direction.

User

Maybe your wish come true Dec 2012 - if the Aztec's prediction were right... cfd89
    hpy180

Quote Originally Posted by Corné
    It is sad that humans take such a huge portion of the worlds resources for ourselves and that everything else must me "managed" so that we can get our cut first but that is the way it is. I would love to see the worlds population halved.
    I agree with you. Humans just keep on getting more and more and keep on demanding more and more.

And for reducing the worlds population.....just re-introduce the Death Penalty in South Africa and you would make a serious move into that direction.

User

Quote Originally Posted by fhm3006
    Maybe your wish come true Dec 2012 - if the Aztec's prediction were right... cfd89
    hpy180

Quote Originally Posted by Corné

The Aztec's are wrong, I have plans till at least 2040. ;)

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Yeah...waaaaay too soon...the 2012 thing is just not on. ;D
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast