Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Bang -A- Lert Tripwire Device "REVIEW"

I bought a Bang -A- Lert device direct from Mason Engineering for R195.

I was surprised to see that most it was made of plastic. It's basically a 6 inch nail driven by a spring mounted on a plastic base. The spring is pulled using a 'key' ( a bent piece of metal). A little washer is then placed in a hole to stop the nail from moving. The washer is attached to a tripwire and when pulled, the washer is freed and the nail is driven into the primer of a cap, setting off a small bang.

Poor Instructions

There is a diagram on the packaging, but it isn't clear at all. I think I've seen better, more accurate directions on a chinese toaster. Despite the poor instructions, it's not difficult to work out how to mount and use it.

"It comes with detailed instructions - very simple to install." - Mason Engineering.

Awkward Screws

It comes with four very long wood screws, so you may have some trouble mounting it. Mason says it must be mounted with the supplied parts or it may not work. So if you want to put it on a wall, or a tree then you're going to have to get different screws.

I wanted to mount it on an outside wall, so I bought a piece of wood, which I attached securely with masonary screws. The wall was very tough, so there was little chance of any movement. I then screwed the device tightly into the wooden block. I could then remove the Bang-Alert if I wanted to relocate it.

Tight Spring

The spring on the Bang-Alert is EXTREMELY tight. So tight in fact, that some people will not be able to pull it back to arm the device! I'm not sure why, because it only has to hit a little Hilti cap - the type used in nail guns. The caps are similar to a .22 blank round (rimfire).

Safety Catch

There is a 'safety catch' system which is supposed to allow the user to put the cap in place without the risk of it going off. The cap goes into a hole below the nail. In practice this system does not work that well. It takes a lot of effort to put in and remove the safety (really just a piece of plastic that stops the nail moving) and then arm the device. In fact, after removing the safety you have to pull heavily on the spring again, and then move it further up in order to insert the washer.

Visible Trip Wire

It comes with a thick black cord (the tripwire) so it's not going to be hard to spot during the day. Maybe this cord can be substituted with some strong fishing line.

Rust

After only a few days leaving the device outdoors, the nail starts to rust. I'm not sure how this might effect the operation - perhaps after a few months it might rust enough to stop working. It seemed odd to make the body out of plastic, and then use a simple nail and washer, which are very prone to corrosion. The designer assured me prior to purchase that I could leave it in place indefintely, without it rusting.

Roving Pins

When the device is activated, I noticed some horizontal pins at the top of the nail were moving around from the violent force of the spring when it activated. On occasion, it looked like they might pop out, since they aren't restrained at all. Should this happen, the nail would shoot out of it's holder.

Possible Limp Wristing

Despite taking great care to mount the Bang-Alert, I could not get it to fire the cap. I tried about four times, and could see a dent in the primers where the nail had hit them but failed to set it off. I tried different screws, tightened them more etc. but no joy. I read recently that other customers had the same trouble (limp wristing suspected), so it may either be the device I had, or simply a design problem. A very stiff spring coupled with a plastic base is not ideal. I coudln't see the base or wood moving around when the spring is sprung.

The cap (by Hilti) is offset, but the nail strikes it way off on the edge. Initially I though it was striking too far off centre, but according to the designer, this is correct.

False Promises

I rang the designer - Dave Mason - to try and get some advice. He just blamed my DIY skills rather than helping, and wasn't very pleased that I couldn't get it working. I think he took it quite personally. He continued making some rather snarky comments about the installation without actually seeing it (I'm not bad actually :D) Dave claimed "nobody else reported problems". Despite this, he promised to allow me to return it, and refund the cost of postage, which I gladly accepted.

"Should you send the unit back we will refund your postage and fire all the caps on your unit and return them to you." - Mason Engineering.

I thought something was up after my parcel sat in the Benoni post office for two weeks. Dave claimed not to have received the tracking slip.

I had to call the local post office, who confirmed they had in fact delivered the slip to the address. After a few reminders, Dave collected it and refunded me the cost price, but not the postage. The outstanding 29 rand isn't a a great deal of money to lose, but a promise is a promise. I spent more than R65 on wood and extra screws, apart from an hour cutting wood and installing the thing, along with expensive phone calls to Dave Mason's cellphone.

New Version

I see that the new version of the Bang-Alert has a metal backing plate, so this confirms what I thought - that Mason must have known of problems with it. I'm sure he wouldn't redesign his product based just on my experience. However, he denies this.

It's a pity, because we had a trespasser last week in the area I mounted it, and we can't afford electronic beams everywhere.

"Clearly you did not mount the unit and the metal plate does not make any difference if the unit is not mounted securely !" - Mason Enginering.

Conclusion

Instructing customers to use some impractically sized screws, is not a recipe for success. Refusing to assist when customers call in for advice, is also poor customer service.

If you buy direct from Mason Engineering - you may experience difficulty in returning a faulty item, and with receiving a refund.

Should a business owner make promises to refund postage, then he should honour that. Honesty in business is very important to me. I sent Dave a reminder, only to have more rude comments, saying I "wasted his time", and accusing me on not mounting it. If he had opened my return package, it would have been easy to see the rusty nail and other signs that it was installed outdoors.

I was also initially told that it wouldn't rust within a short time, which is untrue.

I gave Mason Engineering ample opportunity to make good on their promise, and even offered to send a copy of this review for correction. However, I never received a response.

All in all, unless I was very unlucky, I would say the product is a risky purchase. It's only worth the money and effort if it works.

bang_alert.jpg
    Last edited by Skaaphaas; 12-08-2014 at 06:30.

Default Re: Bang -A- Lert Tripwire Device *REVIEW*

Quote Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
    I bought a Bang -A- Lert device direct from Mason Engineering for R195.

I was surprised to see that most it was made of plastic. It's basically a 6 inch nail driven by a spring mounted on a plastic base. The spring is pulled using a 'key' ( a bent piece of metal). A little washer is then placed in a hole to stop the nail from moving. The washer is attached to a tripwire and when pulled, the washer is freed and the nail is driven into the primer of a cap, setting off a small bang.

Poor Instructions

There is a diagram on the packaging, but it isn't clear at all. I think I've seen better, more accurate directions on a chinese toaster. Despite the poor instructions, it's not difficult to work out how to mount and use it.

"It comes with detailed instructions - very simple to install." - Mason Engineering.

Awkward Screws

It comes with four very long wood screws, so you may have some trouble mounting it. Mason says it must be mounted with the supplied parts or it may not work. So if you want to put it on a wall, or a tree then you're going to have to get different screws.

I wanted to mount it on an outside wall, so I bought a piece of wood, which I attached securely with masonary screws. The wall was very tough, so there was little chance of any movement. I then screwed the device tightly into the wooden block. I could then remove the Bang-Alert if I wanted to relocate it.

Tight Spring

The spring on the Bang-Alert is EXTREMELY tight. So tight in fact, that some people will not be able to pull it back to arm the device! I'm not sure why, because it only has to hit a little Hilti cap - the type used in nail guns. The caps are similar to a .22 blank round (rimfire).

Safety Catch

There is a 'safety catch' system which is supposed to allow the user to put the cap in place without the risk of it going off. The cap goes into a hole below the nail. In practice this system does not work that well. It takes a lot of effort to put in and remove the safety (really just a piece of plastic that stops the nail moving) and then arm the device. In fact, after removing the safety you have to pull heavily on the spring again, and then move it further up in order to insert the washer.

Visible Trip Wire

It comes with a thick black cord (the tripwire) so it's not going to be hard to spot during the day. Maybe this cord can be substituted with some strong fishing line.

Rust

After only a few days leaving the device outdoors, the nail starts to rust. I'm not sure how this might effect the operation - perhaps after a few months it might rust enough to stop working. It seemed odd to make the body out of plastic, and then use a simple nail and washer, which are very prone to corrosion. The designer assured me prior to purchase that I could leave it in place indefintely, without it rusting.

Roving Pins

When the device is activated, I noticed some horizontal pins at the top of the nail were moving around from the violent force of the spring when it activated. On occasion, it looked like they might pop out, since they aren't restrained at all. Should this happen, the nail would shoot out of it's holder.

Possible Limp Wristing

Despite taking great care to mount the Bang-Alert, I could not get it to fire the cap. I tried about four times, and could see a dent in the primers where the nail had hit them but failed to set it off. I tried different screws, tightened them more etc. but no joy. I read recently that other customers had the same trouble (limp wristing suspected), so it may either be the device I had, or simply a design problem. A very stiff spring coupled with a plastic base is not ideal. I coudln't see the base or wood moving around when the spring is sprung.

The cap (by Hilti) is offset, but the nail strikes it way off on the edge. Initially I though it was striking too far off centre, but according to the designer, this is correct.

False Promises

I rang the designer - Dave Mason - to try and get some advice. He just blamed my DIY skills rather than helping, and wasn't very pleased that I couldn't get it working. I think he took it quite personally. He continued making some rather snarky comments about the installation without actually seeing it (I'm not bad actually :D) Dave claimed "nobody else reported problems". Despite this, he promised to allow me to return it, and refund the cost of postage, which I gladly accepted.

"Should you send the unit back we will refund your postage and fire all the caps on your unit and return them to you." - Mason Engineering.

I thought something was up after my parcel sat in the Benoni post office for two weeks. Dave claimed not to have received the tracking slip.

I had to call the local post office, who confirmed they had in fact delivered the slip to the address. After a few reminders, Dave collected it and refunded me the cost price, but not the postage. The outstanding 29 rand isn't a a great deal of money to lose, but a promise is a promise. I spent more than R65 on wood and extra screws, apart from an hour cutting wood and installing the thing, along with expensive phone calls to Dave Mason's cellphone.

New Version

I see that the new version of the Bang-Alert has a metal backing plate, so this confirms what I thought - that Mason must have known of problems with it. I'm sure he wouldn't redesign his product based just on my experience. However, he denies this.

It's a pity, because we had a trespasser last week in the area I mounted it, and we can't afford electronic beams everywhere.

"Clearly you did not mount the unit and the metal plate does not make any difference if the unit is not mounted securely !" - Mason Enginering.

Conclusion

Instructing customers to use some impractically sized screws, is not a recipe for success. Refusing to assist when customers call in for advice, is also poor customer service.

If you buy direct from Mason Engineering - you may experience difficulty in returning a faulty item, and with receiving a refund.

Should a business owner make promises to refund postage, then he should honour that. Honesty in business is very important to me. I sent Dave a reminder, only to have more rude comments, saying I "wasted his time", and accusing me on not mounting it. If he had opened my return package, it would have been easy to see the rusty nail and other signs that it was installed outdoors.

I was also initially told that it wouldn't rust within a short time, which is untrue.

I gave Mason Engineering ample opportunity to make good on their promise, and even offered to send a copy of this review for correction. However, I never received a response.

All in all, unless I was very unlucky, I would say the product is a risky purchase. It's only worth the money and effort if it works.

bang_alert.jpg
    If it is not difficult to work out how to mount and use it why the complaint about poor instructions?

What is awkward about the screws? The expectation that it comes with fastners for every mounting option under the sun seems a bit unreasonable to me. Fasteners are not cheap, including more options would drive up the price I would think.

As for the rust, you take precautionary measures to prevent rust on your firearm, if you don't and it rusts do you blame the manufacturer?

Many people improve products they sell, I do it constantly, I would think improving my products is a good thing and shows that I am invested in my product range.

Visible trip wire. Seriously? That is like buying a green car and then complaining that the car is green. I would think fish line has to much strech in it to be a reliable trip wire.

I am sorry but your review comes across as sour grapes because of the lack of support from the manufacturer rather than the actual product being defective. For the price of the unit surely you cannot expect a high tech undetectable security device?

As a dealer who sells the Bang-Alert on this forum I feel obliged to respond.

It is a good solid product that works. When I decided to stock www.tacqm.co.za with the Bang-Alert we tested it. From the first batch each unit was shipped with a fired cartridge as evidence that it had worked.

I had one complaint from a customer that the Unit I sold was lite striking, it was replaced the same day.

From this one incident, Mason Engineering supplied a backing plate that reduces any distortion/flexing when mounted on an uneven surface.

I had no problems either getting assistance from Dave or refunds. I even got free coffee when collecting ;-)

However your beef seems to be with the manufacture, and, I too call sour grapes on your post as well as the timing of it (01h18).

All products sold through www.tacqm.co.za receive our full support.

You are welcome to contact me craig@tacqm.co.za
    Last edited by camouflage762; 06-08-2014 at 05:57. Reason: Typo
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Bang Alert devices....

I am certain (almost 100%) that there was a review posted my another GS member (or more than one?) which highlighted its effectiveness in an actual situation.

The gentleman had installed it. It worked. He went and bought more :-)

User

The only design flaw I could criticize is that I think the firing pin is a bit sharp (my own opinion). Dremel grinder sorted that out.
    I am very happy with the product and I will definitely be buying a FEW more. The product can be mounted easily and IMO, even if DIY is not your strong point, instructions are still not that necessary.
    The store I bought it from was helpful too (TQM), had it shipped to me in no time and enjoyed chatting with the guy who helped me (Thank you again Craig).

User

Again it comes down to customer service. If it happened like the OP stated and the supplier reacted the way stated then that is not on. Also it seems that the OP has given the manufacturer ample opportunity to resolve the issue with no success.

Just my 2c. It does not look like the OP has a axe to grind but rather venting due to bad customer support.

The only problem I see it only fire blanks!

@ Taranis, I own 4 BangAlerts, and my experience, with this product is 180' the opposite, of yours.

I have stated in another thread, that this product is excellent, and it saved my wife and my family from a possible home invasion, barely two weeks after I installed them.

Further, I have received good service from my supplier of this product. (www.tacqm.co.za)

I will continue using them, and I will purchase more of the units, for our other property also.
    "Trespassers will be welcomed, and served a light lunch"

User

And another post where the poster mentioned that 2 of the 10 he bought does not work was removed? (Not sure if the poster deleted his post)

User

I have zero experience with this device, and can only go on what others have written on their experiences. I also don't know the OP, the manufacturer or anyone else in this thread from a bar of soap (Which could change if we meet on the range some day ).

I feel that the OP raises valid points about his experiences, both with the device, and with the claims and promises made by the manufacturer. I'm sure that some of these issues would be smoothed away by dealing with a newer version of the product (Sounds like the OP received an old design) and by dealing with a dealer, rather than the manufacturer directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
    If it is not difficult to work out how to mount and use it why the complaint about poor instructions?
    Because the manufacturer apparently boasts about how great the instructions are.

What is awkward about the screws? The expectation that it comes with fastners for every mounting option under the sun seems a bit unreasonable to me. Fasteners are not cheap, including more options would drive up the price I would think.
    Complementing a set of wood screws with a set of masonry screws wouldn't break the bank, I don't think. I think the length might also be a problem if the wooden fence you're mounting it to is shallower than the screws.

As for the rust, you take precautionary measures to prevent rust on your firearm, if you don't and it rusts do you blame the manufacturer?
    Sure, but FA manufacturers also take steps to apply corrosion resistance to the relevant parts. In this case, it sounds like a regular nail is being used without any anti-corrosion steps being applied by the manufacturer?

Many people improve products they sell, I do it constantly, I would think improving my products is a good thing and shows that I am invested in my product range.
    Absolutely. But if the manufacturer claimed that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the original plastic design when the OP complained, why the need for an improvement on a design that is already flawless?

Visible trip wire. Seriously? That is like buying a green car and then complaining that the car is green. I would think fish line has to much strech in it to be a reliable trip wire.
    The whole point of a trip wire is for people to trip it. If it's visible, that would defeat the entire point of the product. I would have assumed a certain level of fitness for purpose, and while black might be invisible at night, the cord in the photo looks like it would be quite easy to see during the day.

I am sorry but your review comes across as sour grapes because of the lack of support from the manufacturer rather than the actual product being defective. For the price of the unit surely you cannot expect a high tech undetectable security device?
    So the OP is unable to get the device to work at all, but despite all that, his experience can just be written off as sour grapes? Using price as an excuse for a product's failings is also dubious. If I buy a product, I expect it to fulfill its promises, not to fail because it was "cheap".

By all means, if I am incorrect on any point, please correct me. As before, I have no experience with the Bang-a-lert.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast