Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Bang -A- Lert Tripwire Device *REVIEW*

Quote Originally Posted by Davidc View Post
    And another post where the poster mentioned that 2 of the 10 he bought does not work was removed? (Not sure if the poster deleted his post)
    I deleted it after a supplier contacted me.I will post again after dealing with the suggestion.

User

Point is that noting is perfect. Manufacturing defects do happen and people do make mistakes. Suppliers and consumers alike. The way these niggly issues get dealt with is key. G-force your problem may be resolved by the supplier. I am just wondering if the OP got a better response from the manufacturer he may not have posted here. Having said that we don't know how the OP approached the manufacturer? Did that not also factor into escalating the issue? Bottom line is still customer support and diplomacy (Paul could offer a course on this. He can tell you to fuck off in such a way that you look forward to the trip)

The OP returned the unit to the manufacturer.

The manufacture tested it: It worked.

The OP was refunded in full less the return postage.

I maintain that it is sour grapes on the part of the OP.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
    I have zero experience with this device, and can only go on what others have written on their experiences. I also don't know the OP, the manufacturer or anyone else in this thread from a bar of soap (Which could change if we meet on the range some day ).

I feel that the OP raises valid points about his experiences, both with the device, and with the claims and promises made by the manufacturer. I'm sure that some of these issues would be smoothed away by dealing with a newer version of the product (Sounds like the OP received an old design) and by dealing with a dealer, rather than the manufacturer directly.

Because the manufacturer apparently boasts about how great the instructions are.

Complementing a set of wood screws with a set of masonry screws wouldn't break the bank, I don't think. I think the length might also be a problem if the wooden fence you're mounting it to is shallower than the screws.

Sure, but FA manufacturers also take steps to apply corrosion resistance to the relevant parts. In this case, it sounds like a regular nail is being used without any anti-corrosion steps being applied by the manufacturer?

Absolutely. But if the manufacturer claimed that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the original plastic design when the OP complained, why the need for an improvement on a design that is already flawless?

The whole point of a trip wire is for people to trip it. If it's visible, that would defeat the entire point of the product. I would have assumed a certain level of fitness for purpose, and while black might be invisible at night, the cord in the photo looks like it would be quite easy to see during the day.

So the OP is unable to get the device to work at all, but despite all that, his experience can just be written off as sour grapes? Using price as an excuse for a product's failings is also dubious. If I buy a product, I expect it to fulfill its promises, not to fail because it was "cheap".

By all means, if I am incorrect on any point, please correct me. As before, I have no experience with the Bang-a-lert.
    Do you not think perhaps the screws are a certain lenth because the device needs to be mounted to something a bit sturdier than a tamato crate?

The shaft looks nothing like a regular nail to me, but okay. Firearms cost way more than this product. In fact I should then complain that my Lee dies are crap because they started to rust and I needed to apply corrosion protection to them myself?

I am not sure the word flawless was used, but I state again, even if a product works well and I see something I can improve to make it better I change it. One cannot then say my previous design was flawed because I improved on it.

I assume the OP saw the product when he bought it or at least a picture of it. He then decided to buy it and now complains about the color of a component thereof. I find that strange.

No one is using any excuses for any failings. My point is different, one cannot purchase a Jetta and expect it to perform like a Porche

I do not know why the OP could not get the product to work, but yes, it is clear that he was upset when he wrote the review. The review comes across as an attack on the product because the OP was unhappy about the lack of assistance he got from the manufacturer. It reads more like a hellopeter complaint than a review of a product.

User

I have no dog in this fight, but I have a few of these units lying around. Coincidentally, I installed one this past weekend and tried it out. The following are MY observations- your mileage may differ...
    the supplied cord is very visible during the day, it may be more effective at night, but straight black lines seldom occur in nature and in daylight your eye is attracted to it.
    the amount of force required to release the mechanism is large. If you run into it, it is likely to go off, walking slowly you will probably feel the tension on the cord with enough reaction time to avoid setting it off.
    we tried the unit several ( more than 5 times each ) with a number of caps, it never went off. This may be my error, and again, your mileage may vary.
    i didn't have the unit installed long enough to observe corrosion, and in any case, I live in probably the most corrosive environment in the world, so my observations wouldn't be representative anyway.
    in summary, it's a great idea that may take some tweaking by the end user to get working properly in your specific circumstances and for your specific application. I'm calling operator error on my side and I will fiddle some more to see if I can get it to work.

Thanks Andy.

Will be in touch.

Thanks for all the input. It's hard to reply to each one. Just to add:

• The nail is embedded in a metal tube. I'm told it is a nail and appears so from the sharp end.
    • I was up till 4AM doing correspondence, so no indication of anything sinister.
    • I was always going to write a review, good, bad or indifferent.
    • It is quite revealing that Mason Engineering sold me the old model (without metal plate), and were adamant that nobody had experienced problems with it. Such a deceptive sales pitch is not acceptable.
    • I had intended to buy more Alerts, and this one was a trial.
    • I used hard Maranti wood and proper screws, measured and marked properly (even varnished).
    • To insist that one uses the supplied screws or the device won't work is clearly an indication that the device is temperamental --> i.e. Not suitable for security applications.
    • I recall that the instructions mention a tree or wall as a mounting. The base has round screw holes and some longer ones for a different mount, so what are they for?
    • R195 isn't a lot of money, but remember it's a piece of plastic, a washer, string, spring and nail - not corrosion resistant either.
    • No, it's clear my device was not tested upon return. Further evidence that he knew of the faults.

I'm happy to have this out in the open, and to hear from other customers. Perhaps someone will design a better one. We're living in a high crime situation in SA, and there will always be a demand for a reliable trip device.

User

Andy keep us in the loop with mods
    I will try , what somebody suggested file the sharp point down a bit .
    Let's see if this helps

Quote Originally Posted by piglet View Post
    Andy keep us in the loop with mods
    I will try , what somebody suggested file the sharp point down a bit .
    Let's see if this helps
    Here's a photo of the first strike. I wonder why the cap wouldn't fire if it managed to dent the back of the cap?IMG_1891_s.jpg

User

I must say that the agent support has been awesome. Thanks Craig, I will buy gear from you any day.
    more to come...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast