Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Question Help on a 6.5 Creedmoor

Hi Guys,

I got my Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor and am waiting on the license stuff from our friends at SAPS.

Does anyone know who stocks 6.5 Creedmoor ammo? I know Hornady makes a few loads, as well as Nosler. I know Guns & Bows has some down in CT. But havent heard from Mark yet.

I plan to do mainly Gong shooting and veldskiet. Might do the occasional springbokkie here and there.

What can you guys recommend? This is my first hunting rifle setup, so need all the advice I can get.

Banned

Default Re: Help on a 6.5 Creedmoor

I can get Hornady 129gr SST SPF ammo available @ R891.00 per box of 20.

Banned

On a limb here - you would have to reload for the 6.5 Creedmoor if in any way possible. AFAIK ammunition is pretty scarce.

User

Congrats on the rifle. The biggest problem with the 6.5 Creed in SA is going to be availability of factory ammo. So buy whatever you can get, or start saving for a reloading kit!

100 rounds of factory ammo-R4500. With that you could get a Lee kit, 100 Norma cases and probably 100 bullets. For the second 100 factory rounds, you can get dies, primers, propellant and attend a reloading course.

200 rounds in a new rifle want last long, so before you know it you will have broken even. That is, until the upgrade bug bites!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedoc View Post
    Congrats on the rifle. The biggest problem with the 6.5 Creed in SA is going to be availability of factory ammo. So buy whatever you can get, or start saving for a reloading kit!

100 rounds of factory ammo-R4500. With that you could get a Lee kit, 100 Norma cases and probably 100 bullets. For the second 100 factory rounds, you can get dies, primers, propellant and attend a reloading course.

200 rounds in a new rifle want last long, so before you know it you will have broken even. That is, until the upgrade bug bites!
    Good advice Bonedoc, thanks a mill. I want to get a reloading setup, I have 9mm and 223 that we shoot quite a bit with IPSC type stuff. So im thinking of going the progressive route. I looked at the Hornady Lock n Load AP, and the Dillion Square Deal. The 650 seems a bietjie eina. What would you guys recommend?

User

single stage for precision work.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pikes199 View Post
    Good advice Bonedoc, thanks a mill. I want to get a reloading setup, I have 9mm and 223 that we shoot quite a bit with IPSC type stuff. So im thinking of going the progressive route. I looked at the Hornady Lock n Load AP, and the Dillion Square Deal. The 650 seems a bietjie eina. What would you guys recommend?
    Use a single stage for precision rifle loading

Leave the 223 if you just want to go to the range and pull the trigger

User

Have a look at the thread started today by QuQ on reloading

User

Quote Originally Posted by urabus View Post
    single stage for precision work.
    Wouldnt a lee 4 hole classic turret give the same results?

User

for precision work......much of the time is spent on case prepping.
    too many steps:

lube/de prime/size/de lube/trim/chamfer/primer pocket clean/sort/weigh/batch/run-out/de donut...etc
    it requires to inspect/work on cases individually and that's after de prime & sizing.
    so what's left is just powder/seating and crimp (if necessary).
    a progressive can work....but you will not get the same accuracy/consistency.

serious precision shooters are getting 6fps spread over 2900fps.
    0.2% variation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast