Gentlemen,
I am overwhelmed by the response that you fellows have provided. You responses have already helped to point me in the right direction as to how to go about this. Here in america the black powder muzzle loading crowd has always been a friendly and helpful group of people. The same thing must obviously be said from our black powder brothers and kindred spirits in South Africa. I salute all of you for your support. I will be starting the process with my outfitter in February when he arives here for one of the big outdoor and hunting shows that we have.
Just a little about myself. I am getting ready to enter my sixties and want to hunt at least one more time with open sights before my eyes can no longer see them properly. I have made over twenty muzzle loading guns in the past thirty years. Forged and rifled my own barrel for one, as well as made the lock for it too. Its amazing what you can teach yourself to do when there was little money available to do it with at the time. I am currently making a 11 gauge double barrel flintlock shotgun that I will be using for hunting wild turkeys this spring in my state of Pennsylvania.
The Miniature sharps rifles were the first set of rifles that I ever had custom made for me. I had to sell seventeen guns and wait 7 years to get the set. The actions are made from a 4140 forged steel billet. The one rifle is chambered for an old round. It is in 38-72 Winchester. The case capacity is 74 grains/water. The rifle can handle smokeless, BP, or substitutes. I reform most of my own cases. I have worked up both smokeless and BP substitute loads. The smokeless is IMR 3031, 260 grain accubond bullets, 2200 FPS, 2800 Ft.Lbs. of energy. the BP substitute load is Blackhorn 209, 330 grain cast bullet, 1600 FPS, 1750 Ft. Lbs of energy. In short I am duplicating 3006 energy and 243 Winchester energy. Just at slower velocities and lower pressures. I had the other miniature sharps made in .22 long rifle and it is my practice firearm. More about the flintlock I will bring in a latter posting.
I apoligize if I have said too much. It's just that I love the shooting sports. I will post a picture and description once I figure out how.
Thanks again for your generous advice and support.
Mike