Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default I Need Help With a CCW

Hi guys
    Ok I know that this has been discussed many times before but I need help.
    Ok so I am considering getting myself a Ccw but I do not know what to choose. Here is my background story, I grew up with rifles my whole life as my father is an outfitter and PH I am rather clued up on weapon safety and handling but I have no experience with handguns what so ever. Now the reason I need a weapon for self defense is that I work at a car dealer and the risk of getting into trouble while taking a "client" on a test drive with a R750 000 car is rather high and just within the week we had 4 armed guys trying to steal one of your R950 000 demo vehicles but luckily no one was hurt. So what I need is something that conceals well with our uniform (light button shirt and trousers) and will be easy to use in a car if it is necessary. Please I have been reading non stop for a few weeks now but I need local advice for my situation.
    Thank you in advance

User

Default Re: I Need Help With a CCW

Cz duty or glock 19 are your best options. Go check both out at your local dealer

User

Hey pilot, if you have not done an Intro it will be a good idea first.
    As far a conceal carry goes you can start looking at the obvious choice a Glock 26/27 or something bigger a Glock 19 perhaps. Other than Glock you could check out CZ P07 Duty. All depends how small you need to go. Other smaller options are available as well like a Glock 42, Smith & Wesson Shield or Beretta Storm. Also budget dependent.

User

Because so many dealerships have pretty strict no gun policies I would suggest looking at something like a G26 or a M&P9C. Easy to shoot but also easy to keep hidden from your colleagues on a day to day basis.

Also make sure you use a holster with no visible clips when tucked. Something like an Mtac with V clips. Someone one day will spot that little clip on your belt.

Also when you get it tell no one at work. It can easily bite you in the arse.

If I had two people on a test drive I always sat in the back. Makes it easier to control them without being covered from two sides.

Banned

Go and shoot several guns at shooting clubs / gun shops /with friends before making a decision.

Get something known for reliability.

For most men it should be possible to conceal a compact sized pistol just as well as a subcompact sized pistol.

Rather have something smaller which you carry than something bigger which causes trouble.

Thank you for the fast response
    Luckily my dealership has no problem with us having any weapon on us as long as our clients do not see it. I have been looking over some pistols and I really like the po7 dutyand it fits my budget but my concern is just how well I can hide/use it affectively when on test drives if ever I truly need it. The idea is that no one should know that I do have a weapon on me as you never know who you can trust as we came to realise that the incident the other day was an inside job

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Go and shoot several guns at shooting clubs / gun shops /with friends before making a decision.

Get something known for reliability.

For most men it should be possible to conceal a compact sized pistol just as well as a subcompact sized pistol.

Rather have something smaller which you carry than something bigger which causes trouble.
    If one has zero experience with handguns what will shooting some tell you?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    If one has zero experience with handguns what will shooting some tell you?
    Big T, I suppose that he will get someone to show him the ropes, and I also assume that no gun shop wil just hand him a gun and say "have fun" if it is clear that he is a newby.

He has to start somewhere!

Shooting different guns will tell him the difference between the calibres WRT kickback, functioning, grips etc. It will also serve as an introduction so that said person can build up a memory for the second time he would be handling a gun or two.

At least he would be able to say "I have shot a handgun before" instead of "I want to" which makes a big difference.

From his experience with rifles he would be able to draw comparisons to handguns.

User

I second the g26 and m&p9c.also take a look at a shield.price is closer to a duty than the other 2 and its slimmer being a single stack.

User

Sadly if you don't know what you are doing you don't know what to look for.

You also assume that he will get proper instruction when he goes to test a gun. Assuming is the mother of what again

We see very often that once people learn how to shoot they discover what they thought they liked or God forbid what felt "comfortable" doesn't anymore.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast